* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Preparing Site for Planting

Preparing Site for Planting 8 years 11 months ago #35358

All,
Today I started looking for a good spot on my property to plant ginseng this October. The site is great, I already have about 20-30 ginseng plants growing there naturally. My only issue is that I plan on planting 1 lb of rootlets and 1 lb of seeds and there is a bunch of black cohosh in the area where I would like to plant. Does anybody have any suggestions on what would be the best way to remove this black cohosh or if I should at all? I dont want to distrub the area anymore than I have to but I feel it is almost necessary to remove it if I am going to be planting this much ginseng.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Preparing Site for Planting 8 years 11 months ago #35361

Welcome to this forum, Jspence 42.

I don't think you need to worry about the Black Cohosh, unless it is just everywhere. I have a section of Black Cohosh growing in one of my patches, and the plants seem to get along fine. It is a marketable plant as well.

If you end up cutting it back to makle rrom for your 'sang, then be sure you dig out the roots where you are cutting it back...

good luck on it!

Re:Preparing Site for Planting 8 years 11 months ago #35373

jspence42: I have to say whitjr hit it right on. If it's that thick of cohosh just thin it out some by digging and selling the cohosh roots and still leave some cohosh as it's a good companion of seng and avoids the seng monoculture and disease that comes with that growing style. I find them together a lot when seng hunting.

Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 114 guests and no members online

Login