2017 Fall/Winter Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out. Order your seed today!
* Ginseng Rootlets: SOLD OUT
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36427

Hugh, does rain, or lack of, effect taste w/ peaches at all? Last year our Macouns in the NE were less than there best due to a dry August/September. Here we go again and it has been dry for our orchard this August so far. I was out watering all afternoon yesterday, and I'm heading out right now to get at it again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36428

Maya,
Dry weather is not usually a big problem for peaches if the ph factor is okay with your soil. This season was so dry and hot, early on that I did notice corking problems with my first variety of peaches. The peach loves hot weather and if it gets a small amount of rain it does fine and the starches turn to sugar producing a sweet tasting peach. When I grew apples commercially, there was always a problem with the Spur strains of Red Delicious. Corking always showed up and it blemished the outward appearance of the fruit. I sprayed Solubor to try to help and sprinkled granular boron each spring, but I still had problems. Solubor would also burn the leaves. It seemed like appearance was more important than taste at that time.

Hugh

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36437

That reminds me, need to cut some scions for leaf analysis.

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36464

Here's a couple pics of the orchard for you Hugh..........
Attachments:

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36465

Zestar!. Try this apple if you can find it, outstanding early apple. It will be ready here in a couple weeks.
Attachments:

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36466

Gala
Attachments:

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36467

Honey Gold
Attachments:

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36468

Great pictures and beautiful fruit, Maya. I wish you good luck as they ripen.

Hugh

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36469

good looking fruit...

Re:Running out of ginseng berries so it's more peaches 2 years 3 months ago #36471

Thanks guys, going to put some out roadside for sale this afternoon.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 120 guests and one member online