2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replanting berries closer to home

Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36671

Hey all, I have a question to all you more experienced diggers. I have gensing patches on my nearby property and thats where I want to grow more and plant more berries and be able to watch it more closely. About three miles deeper in the woods I have found many more patches that I want to harvest this year but I want to bring the berries closer to the house and plant with the other gensing that is growing there. I know I am suppose to plant berries where they are found but what is wrong with bringing them closer to the house. My question is how long can I wait after picking them before I replant them closer to home. I don't want them to dry out and become usless. What should I do to preserve them at least a week or two before I can replant them with my other gensing that is growing there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36697

Wow! Over 24 hours and no reply.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36698

I think the issue is that what you propose is illegal in some states. I think the better course of action might be to transplant some of the roots where you want them to have seed in future years. Do this legally in season of course.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36719

Illegal indeed! I would loophole it and just harvest the berries this year to take home and the following year plant at location of seng and then harvest the root. It will have a double positive outcome. Ohio law, anyway, states if you are \"harvesting\" the root you must plant the berries where you dig it.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36745

Thanks Jimsenger66,
I believe this is my best action and thanks for the advice. This is a double positive outcome.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36861

Don't forget to top the plants this year so poachers don't find them and foil your plans.

You could, the following year, actually dig the roots from the location, after planting the berries there - of course, and bring the roots to your land to transplant them and get berries the following year. Can only transplant during the legal season however. That is best anyway so the berries will be ripe and placed at original location which you can go back to in a few years and harvest/plant berries again.

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 7 months ago #36871

Thanks Jim

Re:Replanting berries closer to home 8 years 5 months ago #37792

My question is how long can I wait after picking them before I replant them closer to home. I don't want them to dry out and become usless. What should I do to preserve them at least a week or two before I can replant them with my other gensing that is growing there.

I'm guessing this late reply may now be time redundant. But here is an answer to your question above.

The seeds will be well protected and kept moist inside the berries. You will have plenty of time (given your week or two time frame you mention) to plant the berries with your other Ginseng. Do note at this point your seeds will not produce seedlings in the spring, it will be the following spring that you should look for seedlings.

Kind regards,

Bulldog
Wisconsin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 380 guests and no members online

Login