Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: beginner ginseng hunter

beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 6 months ago #384

• bob s
  • bob s's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
just getting into hunting ginseng i live in ne ohio during what months of the year do they produce their barries. is this all you look for

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 6 months ago #394

Hi Bob,,up here in Minnesota the season starts Sept. 1,,so the berrys have a chance to turn bright red. I started out trying to concentrate on red berrys,,,but now look at the leaf pattern,,,which has really helped me. Once you find a few by identifying the leaf pattern,,you can spot it much better,,I think I passed over a lot of Sang by just looking for red berrys. But once you find a few you have the eye!! Good luck and let us know how its going. Our Gophers play those Buckeyes this weekend!! Be gentile on us!! Later Bob!!

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 6 months ago #401

i live close to southern oh. you cant always trust those berries to still be on there when our season starts( also after Sept 1). most i have found this year have dropped their berries.The leaves are usually still green but also look around for yellow stems sticking up in the area. I have have found many large roots without their tops.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #522

I also am a beginner. This is my 2nd season of hunting. I love walking in the mountains and searching. It is hard to find places here to get permission for hunting. I will not go to the park or state lands to dig illegal like a lot of others do.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #524

The best thing about ginseng later in the year is that it starts to turn a golden color. This type of golden color is unlke any other color in the woods, and once you get the eye for this particular shade you can spot it as far away as a hundred feet.

If you are a beginner you will be fooled often by small buckeye trees and Virginia creeper but once you get the idea of the folage of the plant it is much more reliabe to look for the plant itself than the berries. Some large plants may not have berries on occasion, or may have had the berries eaten by mice or chipmunks.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #525

We have a bunch of Virginia creeper her behind the house. I remember the first time I saw that, I thought I was \"rich\" with sang. lol Reentry into the regular poor world is a bummer.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #709

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
what county do you dig in? I am located in WNC to....haywood county. I feel the same about the park and state lands...I will not dig it illegal and I will NOT pay the govt more money for a permit to dig on their land.

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #710

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
go bucks, I am from central ohio, but now live in WNC. Realitively new (2years) digger

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #711

I live in Jackson County right next to Swain. have only been here 2 yrs myself. we are moving later this month, closer to Franklin, but still in Jackson. Moving WAY up in the mountain...gonna love it. There is 75 acres that will be mostly mine for digging and planting. I might not be around long enough to enjoy the planting, but future generations will... :-)

Re:beginner ginseng hunter 15 years 5 months ago #712

• sangman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
you picked a new place to live due to the great sang hunting/planting right?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 414 guests and no members online

Login