2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Berries starting to ripen.

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38903

Beautiful plants and great picture taking as well. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38904

I have 40 or so plants in my seed bed and a few others near by (5 year olds) and last weekend found a couple of red berries on one 5 year old plant... and this weekend I found 3 more red berries on a couple of plants in my seed bed.

This is Southern Middle TN.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38905

Below a couple more...

Attachments:

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38906

There is something distinctly beautiful about that red and green color combo...

And it is even better when those leaves turn yellow.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38907

TNhunter wrote:

There is something distinctly beautiful about that red and green color combo...

And it is even better when those leaves turn yellow.

TNhunter

...amen brother...

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 8 months ago #38912

They tend to look even better when the leaves are wet.

Went out to check my berry count and of the very few survivors of the 3 year old rootlets I planted in '14, none produced a seed. I got two berries off of the one year old rootlets I planted the same year and put them directly in the ground. It seems a lot of them have dropped off early (hopefully not permanently) and only two had ripe berries. I found zero berries on the wild plants in my woods, so it isn't just my plants having a rough year. However, I found a slew of seedlings I planted in mini patches all over from the wildgrown.com seeds, and the large patches from their seeds still kickin' rear. Sorry, no pictures as it was raining very hard. I got fully saturated and was glad I left my phone behind.

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 7 months ago #38929

Archon wrote:

All pictures are from my home state of New Hampshire.

Where abouts are you Archon? My son lives over near Hanover. I'm over near Rutland in Vt.

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 7 months ago #38974

I am in west-central NH. It takes a lot of effort to find ginseng in this area. So I can understand why people think it is rarer than it actually is.

Vermont is supposed to have much more ginseng habitat than New Hampshire. Is this true ? How hard is it to find a healthy population of ginseng in Vermont ? I have not been hiking in Vermont so I do not know what is going on over there. I have seen some very good habitat in the Connecticut River Valley degraded by logging.
Is ginseng declining in Vermont, or is it doing okay ?

Oh, by the way- Hello Maya !

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 7 months ago #38984

Berries in east Tennesse are green and just starting to barely turn. Probably mid Sept. they will ripen enough to plant. The extreme heat here seems to have stunned them a little because the pods are not quite full but I know that some have been eaten. I will take what I can get from mother nature and plant what is left after the summer and the hungry critters.

Re:Berries starting to ripen. 7 years 7 months ago #38995

Archon wrote:

I am in west-central NH. It takes a lot of effort to find ginseng in this area. So I can understand why people think it is rarer than it actually is.

Vermont is supposed to have much more ginseng habitat than New Hampshire. Is this true ? How hard is it to find a healthy population of ginseng in Vermont ? I have not been hiking in Vermont so I do not know what is going on over there. I have seen some very good habitat in the Connecticut River Valley degraded by logging.
Is ginseng declining in Vermont, or is it doing okay ?

Oh, by the way- Hello Maya !

We can't be too far apart, but ya, you do not have the maple and soils we do. You've got a lot more sandier soils and much more acidic. Lot's of oaks over there. We have a real prised root over here, normally fetching high dollar. I guess quantity wise it is light though. We don't see near the numbers as other states.

I went out for a couple hours today to bury some berries. Everything is mixed green and red.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 289 guests and no members online

Login