2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Here they come

Here they come 6 years 2 weeks ago #40995

A few peeping through, starting to warm up.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Here they come 6 years 2 weeks ago #41000

Hey Benny...
For some reason I could not see your picture.
Do you have 3 leafers up already ? If so wondering what State you are in.
I am in southern middle TN and the earliest I have ever seen one up was March 18.

The pic below is of one dated 03/18/2013

TNHunter

Attachments:

Here they come 6 years 2 weeks ago #41003

Hey TNhunter, i had quite a few peeping, i am in north Mississippi right on Tennessee line, most that have already came up were on top of the hills that were getting pretty good sun, if i hadnt been really looking for them, i would not have noticed. Still getting frosty nights here so those may not make it, my older plants probably wont come up till beginning of april. Turkey season starts here on the 15th, last year i had a whole hillside of 3 leafers nearly scratched out, come this weekend its payback time.

Here they come 6 years 1 week ago #41004

I noticed the same about those early sprouting 3 leafers, usually higher on the hill, and more likely to happen where getting more sun.

On a north facing hillside they will be a little later, but if the hill is facing more north east (getting some good morning sun) they sprout up a little earlier.

That one that sprouted her on 3/18 was on a hill that was facing more north east and was higher on the hill too.

That was with bought stratified seed (originating up north too)... and that may be partly why they tend to sprout so early.

After that first year, they do not come up until first week in April usually, or second.

I planted some red berries on that same hill (fall before last) and they should be sprouting up this spring. It will be interesting to see if they sprout early, or later. I will check on those over the next few weeks and see what they do.

TNHunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Who's Online

We have 626 guests and no members online

Login