2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turkey Season 2017

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41028

Got me a nice old tom this morning... I have been hearing him on and off for a few weeks now... Easter Sunday morning he was hammering out the ridge behind my house... Then later on that evening.... about dark:30... I walked out that ridge road a ways, and let out a hoot owl call a couple of times and he gobbled in is roost tree about 200 yards from where I was.

I knew right where he was at at that point... and right where he would be the next morning. This morning...

He had one hen with him and I talked him into visiting my location shortly after he flew down...

That old H&R 12 ga / 30" full... I bought it with fur money back around 1980. It has caused the end of lots of nice gobblers over the years.
3" mag 5 shot.

Now I have a huge bowl of turkey breast meat soaking in the fridge. Going to be some fine dinner tonight.

Going to end my day looking for Morels... red buds are at the end of their bloom cycle and dog woods are just starting to open here... that is usually about the right time to find some. Wild Turkey with Morels would sure go good together.. Hope I find a few.

If any of you folks are doing any Turkey hunting... feel free to post your pics here. Would love to see them.

PS... this old tom weighed in at 21 lbs... had a nice wide 10" beard and 3/4 inch spurs.

THHunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41029

Nice bird tn. Ill b taking my step daughter out May 1st in hopes to get her 1st tom. Hope you find some morels. If not let me know I still have a bunch dried from last yr be happy to send you some. Only a month away n I'll b out looking for some fresh morels.
Good luck.

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41030

very nice tom.congrats....

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41031

Well I looked hard for a couple hours this evening but found no morels.

Found lots of devils urns, some nice patches of may apple that looked like it had not been up too long,and some nice wild wood flowers, and trillium.

Even found a basked ball size sour wood burl on my neighbors property... he lets me hunt shrooms and seng on his place.

I looked around all the places I have found them in the past, but none were up... looked around lots of isolated poplar groves and old logging roads, just could not fine a morel at all.

I did stop by my seed bed on the way home... a few weeks ago I cleaned off all of the oak leaves off it and put on a good dose of gypsum.

Today a nice little 3 leafer was up and showing off. No sign of those bigger plants yet... another week or two and they should start poping up.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41032

I had 5 inches of snow sunday and into Monday morning..this morning I had I don't know how much rain my rain gauge go's up to 5 inches and it was over flowing....its been a tough spring so far here....

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41033

Chief it has been a very wet and so far cooler than usual spring here too..

Since March 1... there was only one time that it was dry enough for me to break up my "raised bed" garden... and it drys out faster than most.

I did manage to get some sweet peas, Kale, Collards, Romaine and Black Seeded Simpson lettuce, Chard, Spinach, parsley and radishes planted. That's it so far.

One things for sure there has been plenty of rain this spring (if that is what helps morels)... I should have some showing up sometime here. I will try again next weekend.

TNHunter

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41034

I'm a true believer that wet springs bring out the old ginseng guys could b a good year for you.

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 2 weeks ago #41035

yes sir ive had plenty of moisture but what I need is warm temps..supposed to get accumulating snow Sunday into Monday..temps wont make it above 40 degrees the rest of the week.our average temp for here this time of year is 60 degrees..going to get down to 20 tonight....

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 1 week ago #41036

got 1/2 inch of snow today..oh boy....

Turkey Season 2017 6 years 1 week ago #41037

Got you bet chief we got 2 inches here yesterday blah so done with it

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Who's Online

We have 713 guests and no members online

Login