Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone in Vermont?

Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4037

• VTginseng
  • VTginseng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just got my Vermont permit to hunt wild ginseng when the season opens in a couple of months. I am also going to buy seed and plant it on my land, which has goldenseal, cohosh, and other ginseng-friendly plants growing on it, as well as a few wild ginseng plants. I hope to plant more every year and in 15-20 years or so, start digging them.

Is anyone else from Vermont on this forum? I've learned a lot just from lurking and reading, figured it would be OK to post. Hello everyone!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4038

VTginseng,

Sorry - I am not from VT, but from TN instead.

Wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Also - even if you do the wild simulated type planting you should be able to harvest some very nice mature plants much sooner than 15-20 years. Depending on growing conditions and your specific area (if ideal) you could have some nice mature plants in about half that amount of time.

I plan to retire myself in about 16 years (if all goes as planned) and between now and then I plan to do as you - plant some each year and hopefully before and during retirement have some nice supplemental income from ginseng.

I own 230 acres of land which has wild seng on it now (limited to north/east facing hillsides) and I am in the process of planning out planting sites for this fall.

I have planted thousands of ginseng berries in my lifetime but only while hunting seng (planting it back where it grew). Last fall I transplanted a few young roots up to a patch just off my back yard and they are doing fine.

Think I will start small with something like 1/2 to 1 lb of ginseng seed this fall and see how that does before getting more serious about it.

This site has sure been helpful and encouraging to me too. I read where someone mentioned a book by Scott Persons and I purchased it about a week ago (400+ pages) and I have about half of it read at this point. It is a good read - lots of good information. You might want to check it out. I found it on amazon. Growing and Marketing Ginseng, Goldenseal & Other Woodland Medicinals - W. Scott Persons, Jeanine M. Davis.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4040

• VTginseng
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks TNhunter, I will look for the book! Good advice too. I really appreciate it.

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4049

My patch is in West Virginia myself, just wanted to say welcome and recommend another good read by W. Scott Persons, titled \"American Ginseng: Green Gold\", also available on Amazon. Best of luck this Fall with your planting VT.

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4052

Vtseng, I'm from Rutland Co. Lotta fun hunting in these woods, good luck. I just started seeding some the last couple of years and have a couple nice patches in my woods out back.

Good luck!

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 9 months ago #4053

• VTginseng
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Maya! Nice to know there is someone else in VT besides me!

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 5 months ago #7249

cool, there are more VT'ers on here.

anyone else going to the ginseng auction in Bethel this year? It will be a first time for me.

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 5 months ago #7613

Anyone get a notice on the Bethel auction? I haven't seen anything yet.

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 5 months ago #7633

The fur sale/ginseng sale in the past has been held the first Saturday in December.
I have not heard yet about this year.
I am also new at posting here, but have enjoyed the info that has been passsed along.
Thanks
Sargie

Re:Anyone in Vermont? 13 years 4 months ago #8179

Did anyone go? How sis it go?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 476 guests and no members online

Login