Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growing question

Growing question 15 years 6 months ago #437

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have 23 acres of maple and oak dense canopy with good soil. 2 questions are: I have New York fern. If I pull this fern but dont get roots, can I plant ginseng there? I understand the roots are dangerous to ginseng. Also...mountain laurel leaves are supposedly toxic to ginseng plants. Can I pull/cut back mountain laurel sufficiently enough that it would not effect ginseng plants? Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growing question 15 years 6 months ago #438

Martin,
Do you have a lot of deer there? I just finished a forest stewardship conference last weekend. One of the subjects they broached was, if you have a fern problem, you probably don't have a fern problem, but a deer problem. Now, I realize New York fern is invasive and bad but, what usually happens, is any time something does manage to grow up through the fern, the deer eat it off do to lack of other feed.

Back to your questions: If you do not get the roots the fern will come back up. The only way to handle the problem, would be to spray and kill the fern back. Also, the Mountain laurel is also a bad thing as it puts too much shade on the forest floor for other plants to survive. I do not know about the toxicity problems. Ginseng needs shade but, it also needs sun. You might want to try small amounts to see how it will take. Wish I could offer better hope.

Re:Growing question 15 years 6 months ago #439

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thx....appreciate the imput. Yes, I have deer here, not a major population but enough!! I'm thinking the mountain laurel could be handled...but i'm still wondering about that fern root thing. thx again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 201 guests and no members online

Login