2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wet weight vs dry weight...difference

Wet weight vs dry weight...difference 13 years 7 months ago #5034

From your personal experience, how much weight does ginseng root lose from initial weigh in versus dry weight. I have heard 1/3 the original weight...what is ya'lls opinion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Wet weight vs dry weight...difference 13 years 7 months ago #5038

I agree, about 1/3 after it dries.

Re:Wet weight vs dry weight...difference 13 years 7 months ago #5048

Thats a real good ballpark figure.

Re:Wet weight vs dry weight...difference 13 years 7 months ago #5050

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I agree as well as a general rule of thumb,but in my personal exsperience large roots seem to hold a little better weight Like if you could get 3 pounds of roots that average over 1 ounce each you could dry out a pound of dry root with 2 lb. 13 to 14 ounces,but even that is close to 3-1 ratio.

Also something that I would like to point out in this topic is this by personal exsperience no guess work here.

Ginseng that is dug early like around open day of season will be dug when the sap of the root is high and the 3 -1 ratio is prety accurate smaller roots however sometimes wil dry more like 3 lb 2 or 3 oz`s to 1 pound dry at this time,but

For those diggers who have the area and safety of waiting to harvest towards Oct,Nov when there seng is yellow,about to fall,and the tops are dieing out there is a good advantage because the sap has went back down into the roots and therefor will dry heavier ( this is a fact,I have learned myself try it and see )older roots/heavier roots will dry as good as 2 lb 11,or 12 oz`s to one pound dry....And smaller roots,,say average harvestable 3 prongs will dry around 2lb 14,to 15 oz`s dry

Now this information fellows took years for me to understand and learn,but as I have said sevral times here I do not just dig seng for the money I truly enjoy doing this and like to do it with Knowledge.Some things can be taught best by exsperience so try these methods for your self,it will be fun exspeariments for the serious guys who love to fool with seng,,,just as a farmer likes to grow the biggest pumpkin,or the leanest cattle,or the best chicken to get the best egg etc......

Hope this might be of some help to you ,,,,guys,especialy to you hunz as this is a good topic that you posted I enjoy the defining area of this passion of ours.

Good Hunting to all,,and save some of your best for the last part of the dig,,I promise you will not be sad that you did :)

Billy.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 48 guests and no members online

Login