2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: storing live roots for transplant

storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5486

I was wondering what is the best way to store live roots for transplanting? I need to store them for 2 or 3 weeks. thanks, kyle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5495

kyle, Last fall I stored 4 roots in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel inside and kept that bag in the cripser drawer of the fridge and they did fine. I only had them a week before transplanting, so I can't guaruntee exactly how long they'll last like this. All four of the ones I transplanted came up this spring though. This was the first time I'd ever tried transplanting any seng. I just tranplanted a couple more to the same area. It's just a curiosity thing for me.

Re:storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5508

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Maybe I will put them in dirt, in a bag, and then put the bag in the fridge. I think that would work well.

Re:storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5515

I have had good luck in the past by keeping them in a ziplock with dirt in the fridge in the past .Once i had them for a couple of weeks just dont let the \"bud\" dry out.

Re:storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5521

I have kept them in the frig for weeks, plastic bowl, paper towel top and bottom, keep it moist not standing water in bowl

Re:storing live roots for transplant 13 years 7 months ago #5622

Something else that I am sure would work just fine (possibly for larger quantities) is to get you a clean 5 gal bucket, drill some holes in the bottom for drainage, and fill it with some woods/top soil or even just a decent potting soil mix.

Just layer the roots in the mix and keep it moist. If you have a cool basement you could store it in, or even outside on the northside of your house where it gets very little sun I am sure it would do just fine.

Just don't let it dry out and make sure it does not get soggy wet (drains well).

If it is extremely hot or cold outside then a cool basement would be a better bet. If it is fairly nice fall weather then I am sure outside/northside just about anywhere in deep shade it would be fine.

You would want to make sure that something like a mole could not get in to the roots.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 308 guests and no members online

Login