2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just became a member.

Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5951

First of all, great site. I love this place. This is my first year hunting, and i love it. Alittle addicting, is the only down side to it lol. I have a question about the weight of sang, roughly what does it take wet/green, to make a dry pound? I've always heard of people setting it out in the dash board of a car/truck or something drying it, but from what i've read on here, thats not the best way of doing it. Is room temp. the best way to dry sang?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5967

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
mark78,

Welcome to the site and forum,

My favorite way to dry ginseng is to take set a screen up about 3 feet off of the floor and lay the ginseng on top of it,then you can use many different types of blowers but I just buy a tempture controlled small heater at any local walmarts.Sit the heat level on low where the air is just barley warm air.Sit the heater on the floor about 2 feet back from your screen then just leave it.The ginseng will dry perfectly in 3 days.This is a little slow for others,but I like it because the ginseng turns out perfect with no damages at all to the roots.

You can dry them in a car window,but sometimes if it gets to hot it will fade the seng and dealers do not like that.

Some try to dry them in a oven,dont ever do that....that ruins the ginseng.

My brother sits his in a box thats open and after 1 week turns it over and lets it sit another week this is a slow way of drying it,but again the ginseng drys with no damage at all.

Im sure some of the others on here can give you some exsamples of how to dry as there are many good differs on this site,

Again welcome abord,

Billy.

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5977

Mark,

If you are not in a hurry you can just lay it out in a thin layer on a window screen (that is what I use) and just keep it at normal room temp 72-74 degrees.

In 2-3 weeks most of the seng will be dry enough to move over into a open box where you can just sort of pile it in loosly but leave the top open for air circulation.

Some of the big fat roots may take 4 weeks or more to dry completely but they eventually will dry fine that way.

No damage at all to the roots that way either.

If you need to rush it up for some reason then do like Billy suggested, apply a little heat but not too much.

You also want to make sure the room you dry it in and store it in does not have any humidity problems (don't keep it in a damp basement or any room that might have moisture issues).

PS - Welcome to the Forum !

TNhunter

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5980

much thanks guys, another question i have is about the weight, what the green to dry ratio on the weight. I've heard some people say half.. and others say a 1/3, just alittle confused on it. Oh by the way, we are next door to each other, I live in clay county

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5982

I checked about a week ago, and a guy in pineville is buying it for 408/dry highest place i've found but, thats been a week ago too.

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #5983

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Mark around this time of year the sap begins to go back nto the root and it tends to dry at 3-1 ratio big roots dry a little better.

Early around open day the roots will dry around 3.4 to 1 that has beent my exsperience.

Billy.

Re:Just became a member. 13 years 6 months ago #6006

Hey welcome aboard man. Now on the weight i have always heard three wet to one dry. And to my experience that is pretty close to being right. Now on the drying as soon as i clean my seng i usually do the vehicle method. Now i don't put it directly in the sun though. I put it in the back seats and the floors and i crack the windows a little to let air flow. I usually only do this the first day to zap out any moisture in the roots. I then just let them dry in a real warm room in the house. This seems to work well for me. Good luck hunting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 343 guests and no members online

Login