2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng consumption

Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6342

For those that eat some of what they dig.......
What frequency, and at what quantities do you consume ginseng? How do you measure it?
Also, do you notice any difference in your health, and well-being, from day to day?

I slice dried root, as thin as I can, maybe 8-10 slices, and put them in a tea pot, and make tea. When done with my tea, i'll eat the slices. I do this a few times a week.
Just thought i'd throw this question out there for fun, and conversation. I'm done digging here in NY, and am moving on to Deer season shortly.
Seeker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6344

i keep any roots that break etc. in my camp bag. when hiking, i like to chew on the roots to keep me from getting hungry etc, and to fight off headaches and such.... i only eat as needed though

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6354

usually everytime i walk by my seng drying i will usually pick up a root and eat some of the hair roots or just a small asperin size and chew it and eat it. I just do it for a quck energy boost. ON me it works just as well as these little five hour energy shots. I usually will try and keep some of the smaller roots and some of the scraps for me to eat after i sell but i don't keep a whole lot to me it is like eating money. But i do see a difference in me during ginseng season as far as being tired. I am always full of energy during this time of the year maybe i ought to keep a little more back this year.

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6360

• kman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • looking for 1/2 lb dry wild sang
I'm no ginseng expert, just a regular guy recently bitten by ginseng bug.

For fresh asian ginseng it is commonly stuff into wine/liqour for 14 days or so to preserve and extract all the goodness out of the root. I think alcohol also delivers it faster thru the system when consume. Not sure if the same is done with American ginseng. Also drink in moderation...like one small shot a day etc...

For dry american ginseng it is commonly double boiled. That means put ginseng slices or 2-3 roots into a small porcelain pot, fill it with about 2 cups of water and cover it. Then put that porcelain pot into a bigger boiling pot. Boil it for 1/2 hour to 1 hr. Leave it to cool and its ready to drink. For good ginseng, it can be double-boiled two to three times to extract all the essence. Partly I think these are done to make it easier for the body to absorb since its usually given to the old and weak. Younger folks can chew it or just make tea with it.

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6411

I do sort of like hillbilly - as I have seng drying or just after washing a bunch I will munch on a few root hairs.

I dry mine on a window screen and when I remove it some of the fine root hairs always remain stuck in the screen - when they dry they curl up and get stuck in the screen.

I always collect those into a little cup and keep them for munching on a little bit over time.

I have never kept any for taking thruout the year though - but have considered it.

I may just do that this year - keep about 12 small to med sized roots and eat about 1 a month in small bits here and there to try it out over a longer period of time and just see if I can tell any difference in overall heath situation.

PS - when ever I do eat on the seng I always kid my wife about it a bit :-)

TNhunter

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6415

I've been chewing some root hairs that were broken off on drying screen in the morning. Maybe it's all in my head but I seem to get rid of that graugy feeling you have in the mornings the older you get. Hoprfully long term it helps too.

Re:Ginseng consumption 13 years 5 months ago #6431

I eat a little occassionally, no regular regimine. I can't eat it late in the day though, or I'll lay awake half the night.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 815 guests and no members online

Login