• Page:

TOPIC: AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on

AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 5 months ago #7560

• kman
  • kman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • looking for 1/2 lb dry wild sang
Came across this online book published 1936...seems very relevant even as the world has \"modernized\" with great strides in medicines.

Found this chapter to be particularly interesting...
www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/harding/ginseng-china.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 5 months ago #7583

I got that book as a young boy in the late 60s or early 70s. Some info is outdated, but still a lot og great info. I think I have read it a million times.

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 5 months ago #7623

• kman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Oh I think it was first published in 1906 and edited in 1930s...so its actually over 100 yrs old. But reading this still sounds very relevant today:-

\"The Koreans are the largest consumers of Ginseng in the world, in proportion to their population, and they have carefully cultivated it for centuries with the one particular object in view, \"its medicinal properties.\" For quality always, rather than quantity. They sacrifice everything else for a powerful medicinal root, and they surely grow it. I have seen some remarkable results from its use during my stay in Korea. Say what we may about it, but it plays a very important part in the life of both the Korean and the Chinese people. Do you wonder now that the Korean Ginseng always commands a high price? If the American growers had followed closer along the lines of the Korean growers and aimed for a high grade of medicinal root, the market for American Ginseng would not be where it is today. That is, the cultivated Ginseng. The American growers have it in their own hands to either make a success or failure of Ginseng culture, but one thing is certain, heavy seed bearing, excessive fertilizing and rapid drying will never produce a high standard of Ginseng. The principal market of the world is ours if we only reach out for it with that high standard and maintain it and especially so it we will unite together and market our product thru one central agency controlled by the producers. Mr. Chinaman may sometimes be mistaken as to whether Ginseng is wild or cultivated. He may also be mistaken as to whether it comes from Korea or China (I have seen him make this mistake), but let him once sample a liberal dose of it, and he won't make any mistake as to whether it is good, medium or bad.\"

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 5 months ago #7625

... if we followed his message.

100 years later and we are still selling our wild for someone elses gains.

guy

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 5 months ago #7626

• kman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Unless you can sell direct...I think that's why Paul Hsu gave up trying to sell thru HK...His is the only setup I've come across that seems to sell Wild ginseng direct to retail customers. The prices for wild ginseng is so \"secretive\" that no amount of googling brings it up...

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 4 months ago #8043

Gotta tell you, i've been using it in tea a few times a week. I've yet to feel runned down or sick this year. I'm fairly certain theres merit to it's health properties. Next year i'll be using as much over the winter as I sell.
Seeker

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 4 months ago #8046

Seeker,

I have always nibbled on seng a bit while I had some in house (between diging and selling) but never kept any for personal use.

This year I decided to change that and kept several nice (but smallish) 8-10 year old roots. I cut them up into small pieces and on Monday/Wed/Friday mornings I put a piece in my morning coffee.

By the time I get to the end that seng root piece is hydrated nicely and taste like green seng, chews up easy.

I have had a time or two over the past few weeks where it sort of felt like a cold or sinus problem might be comming on, but then it just goes away and gets better.

I am starting to think the seng might be helping me out some too.

I have enough seng pieces to last me until next years roots are dug up fresh.

Plan to keep it up and see how it goes.

TNhunter

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 4 months ago #8047

I eat a little bit everyday. I had cut up some wild roots when it was fresh in thin slices and then cut those slices in half. The slices are about as half as big as a dime. I do not get sick often. I do know I feel very mellow and less stressed too when I take it as it is calming to me. I am not big on taking prescription meds of any kind unless I am on an antibiotic or something. I haven't experienced an energy boost with it like some people do but maybe it works different for everyone.
We are getting another soaker today. We have got almost 4 inches in the last 5 days and it was sunny 2 of those 5 days.
Latt

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 4 months ago #8049

I have taken it a few weeks at a time and could tell a big difference in energy. There were a couple times I got to bed really late thinkin the next day would be horrible with just three hours sleep after the hard day I had and each morning I awoke feeling good and never wore down through out the day. I had the energy to work 9 or 10 hours per day and still dig seng till dark just about everyday.Which I was eating like a third of a root a day so that is probably more than what most people take. I finally stopped taking it after I realized how much money I had swallowed :S

Re:AR Harding's Ginseng observation 70 yrs on 13 years 4 months ago #8061

Yeah TNhunter,
I wish I held onto a bit more than I did, but thats OK. I don't find myself running marathons, after using it for a bit, but just like you, if I feel that scratchy, run down feeling on the way, a couple days of seng' tea and i'm 100% again. And quite honestly, i'll forgoe 3-4 hundred dollars, to have that kind of cure laying around the house all year. The money it'll save me in scrips, and doctor visits will more than make up for the half a pound or so I eat.
Well, the harvest season has been over for a good while here in NY, but happy to report I had venison tenderloins on the grill last night. Hope everyones holidays are shaping up to be well.
Seeker

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and no members online

Login