2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe?

Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9027

I've got a small greenhouse, where I'm growing several varieties of veggies. I decided to plant aloe, having used this great plant for many mnay years.

anyone else growing this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9028

I have one growing as a potted house plant. I break off some and use it for burns. Works great for burns.

Do you use it for anything else?

Very easy plant to grow.

classicfur

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9040

Not growing any Aloe but my mother in law has some growing in her house in a pot.

I do quite a bit of garedning and have some stuff going on there now.

I planted a bed of early stuff (green onions, snap peas, leaf lettuce) back around Feb 20 and it is all up and looking good now.
We have eaten some of the green onions and it will not be too much longer on the leaf lettuce.

Here is a couple pics of that early bed...

Leaf Lettuce coming on..

Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9041

Here is a pic from the other end of that bed showing the onions and the peas are in the middle section of the bed. I need to get a trellis up for them they are ready to start climbing now.

Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9043

Here is a pic of one of my other larger beds. I have 3 large (slightly raised) beds like this that I grow my main stuff in.

This one will be growing some nice Tomatoes and Sweet Corn but will not plant those out in the garden until end of April.

I have it broke up good now and loaded it up with bone meal and gypsum. It should be good and ready by the end of April.

PS - I did all of that ground breaking with a broad foark. It does a great job and gets down 10\" deep - it is a bit of work but well worth it.

Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9044

I have grape vines that are 4 years old now and pruned them last weekend. If you look real close you can see it is already sending out buds. I should get a few grapes off them this year.

This one is a seedless concord.

Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9045

I also have a small orchard, 2 pear trees, 2 peach trees, 2 apple trees, 2 plum trees.

Last year we got over 100 peaches off this one... it has been in full bloom this week.

Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9046

And last Saturday I started 15 tomato plants indoors (in the basement). I have a heat mat that I start them out on until they sprout up, then move them off and put them under grow lights.

I always start mine around March 20 and plant them in the garden around the end of April. I start them off in small 3\" pots (shown in pic) but then after they are 3-4\" tall re-plant then in 1 gal pots with compost, garden dirt and pro-mix and also include some bonemeal, bloodmeal and epson salt in that mix.

Man they get big and ready to go by the end of April.

I am growing 3 different cherry tomatoes this year (my wife loves em) black cherry, sweet baby girl and sungold. One is black, one red the other yellow.

Also trying a Sophia variety that is supposed to be early and good flavor.

My main crop tomato is Burpee's Brandy Boy - excellent large beefstake type tomato with fantastic flavor. It is a cross between Burpees better boy and a Brandywine tomato. By far the best tomato I have found.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9047

TNhunter

That sure looks great. By the time I get my garden planted, you will almost be ready to start harvesting.

Here is some Mega Cherry Tomatos I planted just 6 weeks ago in a Hydrponics Aerogrow system. They will be producing way before I can get them in the garden.

They say that this system will grow plants twice as fast as in soil. It's the first yr using Hydroponics. The plants are growing as if they are on steroids!

classicfur
Attachments:

Re:Off-topic- Anyone growing Aloe? 13 years 3 days ago #9048

Both the plants have blooms starting to open.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 429 guests and no members online

Login