2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium)

Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9123

Koolrayz has posted some beautiful pics under the topic \"Site Suitability\". What a beautiful woods and pics of his trillium and dwarf ginseng. Both are great companion plants an indicate a great woods to find and grow ginseng.
Latt

www.nearctica.com/flowers/a/aralia/Ptrifo.htm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9130

Latt, I see that in Koolrayz pics, but have never found any dwarf ginseng here in Missouri. Where all does it grow and what is the market like for it?

That site of Koolrayz sure does look good with all that trillium growing there, I would think ginseng will grow really good in that spot too.

Lenno

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9131

Lenno,
I have a link below that shows the zone for Dwarf Ginseng. There is no market value for Dwarf Ginseng that I know of. However, it has played an important roll to many as a medicinal plant and food source in the past. It is a very beautiful woodland plant and typically grows in very fertile forest soil associated with old growth forest.

www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-w...anax_trifolius.shtml

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9133

Thanks Latt, I guess that zone explains why I dont find any here.

Lenno

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9134

Lenno,
Let me know if you want some Dwarf Ginseng roots this fall and I will dig some and send it to you for planting in your woods or shade garden. It will more than likely grow in your area since it likes the same soil conditions as regular ginseng. I think the zone maps are good for giving a general idea of where plants are found. I do believe many plants exist in the wild outside of their published zone map area but maybe not in an abundance.
Latt

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9136

It doesen't appear to have the red berries either. The calphotos on some of the links don't show any.

When I was out hunting this past fall, I think I found a patch of this. It seemed well established, there were lots of plants there, covering about 50 sq feet. I need to get back there and check it out soon. I wished I had time to get a photo then, however was intent on chasing the wiley whitetail at the time.

I'm curious about the shape of the roots.... wonder if they have similar size/shape to am. ginseng?

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9137

Latt, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. I like having different plants growing in my woods.

I have ginseng and smaller patches of goldenseal, bloodroot, trilliums,etc. One thing I want that I dont have is false unicorn. I have tried planting seeds I ordered, but didnt have any come up. If you or anyone else has extra roots, I would be happy to buy (or trade)a few for transplanting. Like dwarf ginseng, I have never found any false unicorn.

Thanks, Lenno

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9138

Lenno,
I have seen false unicorn many a time, but I do not recall seeing it in any specific spot that comes to mind. I will keep my eyes open this fall and I will get some roots for you if I see it.
Latt

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9139

Lenno,
I am going to post again over top of my previous response to you. If you want any other Woodland plants let me know. I too love to have different woodland plants in my shade garden and in the woods.
Latt

Re:Dwarf Ginseng (Panax Trifolium) 12 years 11 months ago #9140

Latt, I very much appreciate that.

Thanks, Lenno

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 702 guests and no members online

Login