* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: gypsum results question.

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9812

Whitjr

This is one of my soil tests. The top half of report then the bottom half.

The only thing I can figure with them giving the calcium in %, is like the first pic shows % saturation(64.2). But on the second pic it shows the calcium in lbs per acre(ppa)2800. If your soil test is not giving you the calcium ppa, you need to find a new place to send your samples.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9813

Bottom half of same report. Showing the 2800 ppa of calcium.
Attachments:

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9814

Here report of the same soil befor applying gypsum. Top half of report.
Attachments:

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9815

bottom half of report before applying gypsum.
Attachments:

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9817

since I posted this earlier, I have found out that this is the % you have in your above posts.

As for finding a new company to do soil testing, it's hard to argue with free testing... which is what I have now thru the state of NC Dept of Ag.

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9818

Whitjr

If the soil testing place is not giving the info that you need to know, then it would be easy for me to argue against their free testing.

If they don't give you the calcium in ppa(lbs per acre), then how do you know where you stand as far as calcium levels?

It's important for you to know the ppa of the calcium. Your ginseng will be far more valuable someday, than a $12 or $18 dollar soil test.

The soil tests I recieve are very detailed for $12. Especially with all the plants I have.

classicfur

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9819

I have wondered regarding the ppm/acre evaluations as well. I have a friend that is an agronimist, who has advised me to think in these terms.

This whole question had me call the NC dept of AG today, and the field agronimists [the whole staff] were out in the field today. However, some will be back in the office tomorrow, and I'll call again until I reach one.

It's hard for me to believe that since this is a common way of evaluating [ppm/acre] that the NC dept of Ag would not have somethig thru their website that will allow this calculation. I have found that there are lots of \"links\" on that website. In defense of my reports, they are very complicated, giving more values analyized than I have seen posted on this website from yours or others that have posted theirs. I should probally scan in one of my reports sometime, however am suffering from printer/scanner/fax failure at home right now. Gotta get a new one, I put the old one in the trash this weekend!

anyway, thanks for the advice, and I appreciate your opinion.

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9820

Whitjr

You mentioned ppm/acres. If they are giving you a ppm number for calcium. All you need to do is multiply the ppm number x 2 and that will convert it to ppa.

But I agree with you in contacting someone from the lab. Hopefully they can give you the info needed. Perhaps it's just a matter of requesting the calcium ppa when you send in the sample.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9821

Whitjr,
I only know the values as PPA (Pounds Per Acre). Calcium needs to be between 3,000 PPA and 6,000 PPA to be considered a spot where Calcium is optimum.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:gypsum results question. 12 years 10 months ago #9832

Well, I had a good conversation with an agronimist at the NC dept of ag today, about the conversions and values of the soil tests reports. I found out that indeed there are conversion factors available on the website there to allow for conversions to ppa, and therin an ability to estimate what may be needed to add to soil.

The soil tests that I receive back from my state's div are making me think more... since the only recommendations made are for lime, and a few others, however the is no recommendation for calcium. There are many values reported.... not as many recommendations.

The Agronimist states that if soil pH was in line for the paticular crop then the other internal values - like Ca- should in in line with what is needed for the plant. I thought that this was interesting --however as a blanket statement, I think there are some conflicts... she also told me that my Ca was low as well as Mg [magnesium].

Anyway, it was a productive conversation!

When I do the math, I find that my Ca levels are indeed very low, only 406 ppa. It's busy math, gotta go from the soil tests, to the CEC value then to the conversion factor, do the math correctly....

I'm glad that I've put lime and gypsum out. I've allowed about 5 weeks inbetween sampling the soil there again. Those tests are not back yet. My hunch is that I'll need to add more, however will wait to add more until I see the numbers.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 359 guests and no members online

Login