2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Picture of False Unicorn?

Picture of False Unicorn? 7 years 9 months ago #38656

Does anyone have a pic of what False Unicorn looks like at this time of year. I found one on the internet but I don't think it would be a good representation of what it looks like in the wild.

Thank you
Anita
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Picture of False Unicorn? 7 years 9 months ago #38677

Ohwilds,

Sorry, was going to take some pictures for you the other day but got rather busy.

Here are a few pictures of the false unicorn I have growing here in the beds.

You can see a couple plants with the seed stems and a decent picture of one that does not have a stem. It is the rosette in between the two stems

I tried to get a close up of the seed stem with my phone -not good. But, you can see that the seeds are on the stem and at the left you can see another stem. On the bottom right, (by the star) you can see a stem without seeds. I'm not really up on false unicorn that much, but I think this is the difference in male and female plants.

Here is a closer picture of the seedless stem in the last picture. You can also see the stemless plant well (with a mushroom under there). On the top left, you can see another plant that doesn't have a stem.

Re:Picture of False Unicorn? 7 years 9 months ago #38690

Thank you BCastle these will help a lot. I thought I might have found some but I think it might be star grass? the leaves are in the same pattern but more narrow and come to a point on the end. Do you know if it grows higher or lower on the hills? One more question. If I don't find any which I probable won't do you sell any of yours? I know it wouldn't be time till later in the year but I need to plan ahead. Again thank you for the pictures.
Attachments:

Re:Picture of False Unicorn? 7 years 9 months ago #38695

I've never found it wild. I got these from a friend in Kentucky. There are actually quite a few in that bed (fifty or more) but they don't show in the pictures. I\"ve not sold any. I wanted to see what it grew like and if raising it was potentially profitable. From what I'm seeing it could be. I think goldenseal would do as well or better than this would though in the long run.

Taking form your name, I'm assuming you are in Ohio. I\"ve seen that plant you have in the picture. I don't think it is the same plant.

Re:Picture of False Unicorn? 7 years 9 months ago #38698

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I did find a site that sells false unicorn in pots from a 2 inch to a gallon size. think they might sell rootlets to. Might try that. I think I read in one of the threads that it can be divided in the fall.

I actually think I may have seen false unicorn but it's one of those things where it could have been years ago, just looks really familiar.

Yes I'm in Ohio. Wayne National Forest district. There seems to be very little in the forest around here.

I did get about 300 Goldenseal seeds and got them out so that's a start.
Once again thank you so much.
Anita

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 318 guests and no members online

Login