2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expanding False Unicorn and other plants

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 10 months ago #23028

Awesome! Your pictures really do say 1000 words. It appears I have both male and female plants, and a number of them which are not yet ready to flower. Thanks again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25008

Its been a few months since i updated this thread, so for anyone that may be following this post here is where im at with the false Unicorn:
Over the summer i marked all of my flowering plants that i could find on my property and moved some more of the female plants into raised beds. This week I found 1 plant that was ready the seed head had turned brown and the stalk was drying up. It had about 52 seed pods on it, I extracted the seed from the pods with a razor blade and tweezers, the seed were very small and reminded me of mosquito wings for some reason. I noticed this year that in areas with deep leaf litter, i only found mature plants, in areas without much leaf litter i was able to find some seedlings, grouped together some more than others, I built 3 seed beds in locations that had very little leaf litter in a cedar grove close to where i found the small plants. I think that this plant often out lives the enviroment that it starts in and can slowly loose its habitat to an aging forest, as the leaf litter accumulates, i think that it may reach a point where mature plants can survive but new generations can not.
I also think that the seedling plants are very fragile the first couple of years due to their size alone.
I ended up with about 700-900 seed from my first plant, I tried to count them but due to their size and my limited attention span i gave up.
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25009

TINY SEED
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25010

Man I'm up late! You just reminded me about the female plant I have. Hope it's not to late.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25011

rickc,
youre probably fine, those seed pods are pretty tuff.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25214

did I pick these to early?
Attachments:

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25220

They do look a little greener than the ones that i have picked, but the ones that have the brown top and are yellowing should be ok. The ones closer to the base of the stalk, i dont know. You may want to wait a few days before you try to get the seeds, maybe that would allow the seed pods to dry up some and make removal easier, It is virtually impossible to pick those seed up after you get them out of the pod, I let them fall onto a plate then used a razor blade to slide them into a bowl. the seed are mostly flat and not much thicker than a piece of paper. You may want to attempt removal inside at a table with good lighting and if you have a ceiling fan turn it off, dont sneeze or breathe too hard either. Trying to remove the seed outside could spell disaster if a puff of wind comes by,:)
good luck

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25236

That answered my pending question. K_duce, do you sow that seed right away? Nursery bed or just where ever?

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25243

Brad,
I made 3 raised beds this week and sowed the seed. I have no information on how to keep the seed. I did read somewhere online that the seed when ripe were already dormant when they dispersed. Considering the size of the seed and the size and slow growth of the seedlings the first couple of years I think a raised bed would be best. I did however try a rake and scatter method on some of the seed around a couple of cedar trees just to see how it goes as well. I have seen online seed for sale and they are shipped in small packets,so i guess the seed will keep much like grass seed.

Re:Expanding False Unicorn and other plants 10 years 6 months ago #25265

Awesome. I think mine are probably about ready. I might make a small nursery bed for them with a flat and bury it so it will be just like planting in the ground, only inside the container.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 779 guests and no members online

Login