Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: no infor on cherokee national forest

no infor on cherokee national forest 11 years 6 months ago #20795

no dnt have nything on cherokee nant foret dumpy sorry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:no infor on cherokee national forest 11 years 6 months ago #20797

The Ginseng Harvesting Season in the Cherokee National Forests runs from Sep. 1st to Dec. 31st! Each permit purchased is only good for thirty days and one pound of Ginseng and is no longer valid when either are met. However, you can purchase as many permits as you want if the permittable sections are available. You can also purchase additional permit(s) for the same section(s) that you currently hold permits for, if you dig a pound in less than thirty days and there is still Ginseng in this/these section(s) that you want to dig. As I understand it, permits can be purchased up until the end of the year but who in their right mind would purchase a permit towards the end of the year unless you had a Ginseng Hunting Dog! If you could train a dog to find Ginseng, then most diggers would rush out and get one.:woohoo: Heck, at least it saves you the strain on weary eyes!:lol:

Frank

Updated!! Re:no infor on cherokee national forest 10 years 10 months ago #22887

I am sorry but I should have updated the information on the Ginseng Season in the National Forests long ago but I forgot about my posting here!

As everyone should know by know, last year (2012) the infinite gods that rule the National Forests, decided to move the opening of Ginseng Season to September 15th and it still runs to the end of the year. All bets are off as to what they might have up their' sleeves this year!

Frank

***************************************************************************************
As has already been posted elsewhere, the above statement in red is now null and void! The USDA and Forest Service have completed changed and revised the Ginseng Season in the National Forests everywhere Ginseng grows. In Tennessee, they only allowed 20 permits for the North Cherokee and 20 for the South Cherokee which had to be applied for via letter and be selected to get one via a lottery. There is only one section open in the North Cherokee and I believe only one in the South Cherokee and after this year, these sections will be closed to Ginseng harvesting for 5 years and another section opened in each next year, then another section the following year. This year, the section of National Forest lands in the North Cherokee that are in Cocke County will be open this year and Greene County next year. I do not know what sections are open in the South Cherokee National Forest!

***************************************************************************************

Re:Updated!! Re:no infor on cherokee national forest 10 years 5 months ago #26638

Frank, please review my post on the Growing forum as to the USFS meetings where they are discussing future plans and asking for public input!

Maybe a chance to assist shaping policy?

Re:Updated!! Re:no infor on cherokee national forest 10 years 5 months ago #26654

Whitjr wrote:

Frank, please review my post on the Growing forum as to the USFS meetings where they are discussing future plans and asking for public input!

Maybe a chance to assist shaping policy?

Whitjr, I reviewed the post and believe it is/was a good idea to post it in the Growing Ginseng forum! It appears that the USFS updates their' Operations Plans every 15 years and the plans for the Tennessee National Forests was updated in 2004 and will probably not get updated again until 2019. Hopefully in 2018 or before, they will have meeting sessions here in Tennessee for input from the Public but don't hold your' breath! I have not checked other States for when they are due updates on their' Operations Plans for the National Forests in each but will try to find time to research this a post the information on the Growing Ginseng forum.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:no infor on cherokee national forest 9 years 8 months ago #29524

2014 Ginseng harvesting season dates and rules and permit information for the Cherokee National Forests (i.e. the North Cherokee and South Cherokee including the Tellico and Ocoee districts).

www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3804805.pdf

Frank

• Page:
Moderators: KYginseng
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 325 guests and no members online

Login