2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pics from Saturday while shrooming

Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17015

Hey Guys - while I was out looking Saturday I took a few pics.

What are these called ? Can you eat em ?

Are they any count ? If so - how do you cook em ?

I see these quite a lot on oak trees around here.

They were growing on a oak tree and looked all dried up and way past picking time - perhaps last summer or fall they were fresh. This tree had a string of these all the way from the base reaching up 30 foot or so on the tree. I saw several other trees with these.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17016

I found a lil bunch of these coming up around a piece of dead tree wood - suppose they just fall in to the LBM category.

They were odd looking for sure.

Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17017

Found some \"false\" 3 leafers up.

Not ginseng, but do sort of favor a 3 leafer.

Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17018

Here is a pic of the location that I found that lil black morel in last year.

Mostly poplar trees, not real big but fairly thick.

Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17019

One last pic.

The bank in my yard outside the basement is covered in these every spring...

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17020

TN,
The first pic is dried up Turkey Tail. Not tasty at all but they are medicinal when dried and ground up. Supposed to be good for treating prostate cancer. But once again this is my opinion and no one should eat these based on someones opinion on the internet.

Second pic appears to be a type of small puff ball. Never seen this particular species before thou but they resemble a few I have seen. Check them out later when they dry out and they will probably \"Poof\" when you kick them.

Cool pics,
Latt

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17021

TN make sure you check around that tree on the left that is blowen down. You need to check that area were soil is disturbed. Look for area's were water runs and moves soil around check all barriers rock outcrops, roads, trails (deer), change of tree's etc. Check those area's first and fan out from there. Nice Pics!

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17024

Latt..

I have some of those big puff ball shrooms that grow in my yard.

Usually late summer, fall, they start showing up and they will get quite large, big as a grape fruit or larger.

Early on they are white inside, then later on when they dry up - like you said - when you step on them or kick them they poof up some brown smoke like powder.

trahn...

I did look hard around all of those poplar trees, especially the ones where there was any damage, or blow downs like that. I looked extra hard around any poplars that had any kind of damage.

The one that I found last year was just out from a small poplar that had blown over and it was down at the edge of the poplar tree grove, just where it turned back to mostly oaks.

We got more rain today and it is supposed to really warm up this week.

My 7 day extended forecast is showing highs of 78,81,79,78,78,78,77 for the next 7 days.

Lows in the upper 50's lower 60's.

Man that out to get them going.

TNhunter

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17026

TN, Puff Balls like these:

I found them by the hundreds last year. Many bigger than basketballs. When the flesh is pure white inside they are edible. If the flesh is slightly brown or green they are going bad and not edible. There is only one good way to fix them IMHO, slice them thin 1/4 to 1/2 thick dip them in some eggs mixed with milk, roll them in flower and then pan fry them like a morel mushroom until golden brown. They are pretty good. The texture is very much like a marshmallow but pan frying them until golden brown firms them up a bit. Just one large puff ball will feed a family until you eventually get tired of them. I picked a few last year and gave some away as well as eating some too.

Trahn007 that's some some great advise for many that want to find mushrooms early. I had mentioned Southwest facing slopes around rocky outcrops that holds the heat. Trahn007 mentioned the gravel along blacktop roads that hold their heat too. I have found many along railroad tracks as well due to the rocks by the railroad ties holding the heat.

Good luck,
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17027

Latt,

Yes - looks like the same thing to me.

They start out small, round, then grow over time for perhaps a week or lil more and then eventually stop growing and turn brown and then srink up (get mostly hollow inside).

While they are still growing, increasing in size they are just quite white inside.

I usually just pick them up and toss them out of the yard, cause they sort of make a mess if you just mow over them.

I actually have a spot in the front yard and back yard where they show up. Often they will grow in in small or even large semi circles (perhaps the lawnmower is spreading the spores like that).

Next summer/fall when they start showing up agian I will take some up close pics so you can confirm they are the right shroom - then I will try frying up some like you suggested.

On that tip that trahn gave - yes - I am going to make good use of that - added it to my notes on morel hunting tipes.

Thanks

TNhunter

Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Who's Online

We have 356 guests and no members online

Login