Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: come on spring time

come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27475

I cant wait for spring
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27476

Amen brother, me either. Should be a great one with all this winter snow cover.
Latt

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27521

Let us hope, we sure deserve it.

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27524

Shroomdawg,
Miss seeing ya brother. I have a boat load of new spots marked out to go to. Will be working on getting permission between now and when it's time to enter the woods at these new spots. Just trying to locate the property owner can be trying at times as you know.
I bet our favorite spots are going to be loaded this year tho. Can't wait till spring fellas. Dog peckers haven't hit in the last two years. I bet they will be abundant this year and the big Blonds, Yellows and Blacks are going to be seen in record numbers this year. Mark my word!!! Game on in 2.5 months. YAHOOOOOOO!!!
Latt

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27540

A couple days ago I got bored and was watching Youtube on my HDTV...

Craving spring time like you guys I was watching some good Morel Hunt vids and watched one or two on Cooking up Morels...

Oh Man... one if the guys had his morels cleaned and sliced and put them (a little wet) into a bag of flower and shook em up good - they were coated nicely when done - then into a deep fryer of (I think it was actually lard)...

When they were done they looked so good and he was eating them and they were sort of crunching...

I wish I had a dozen or two for supper tonight.

Come on Spring !

TNhunter

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27541

kentuckyhilldigger wrote:

I cant wait for spring

Is it common to find morels in with pines?

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27542

Yes Lenno,
People always talk about finding morels around Poplar,Hickory, Ash, Elm, Apple and Sycamores and yes these trees are great. Blacks are often found around wild cherry too. However, White pines will often host morels and I have found many nice yellows in pine straw. Also I find lots and lots of morels in Japanese Honeysuckle but they tend to only come up every other year for some reason.

Also I find a lot in dried wild grass reeds and in fresh green horse tail patches. You wont find those tips in any books that I have seen. For the past two years I have found over 100 per season in a small area in dried wild grass reeds (That;s what I am calling it because I am not sure what kind of dried weeds these are). These are the weeds that are about chest high that have stalks about the thickness of a pencil. Lots of times hunters walk these dried weed stalks to kick up rabbits when hunting. Just look around the edges of these weeds and yes they will grow in there right out in the sun nestled down at the bottom of the stalks of these weeds. There is not a host tree anywhere near these weeds so I only surmise the spores get blown in and do well for some reason.
Good Luck.
Latt

P.S. TN you are making me hungry!!!

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27571

Latt, I have found morels in around pines before, but I dont think the mushrooms were there because of the pines in that spot.

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27576

Morels are tricky but can be patterned. Been growing morel spawn in a lab setting for years the mycelium run is super fast but once it hits a barrier it forms sclerodia (the stored energy where the morel comes from). I hunt barriers and host trees (ALL SHALLOW ROOT TREES). Change of soil types are great barriers and trigger morel fruiting it's easier to form sclerodia, fruit a morel, spore drop and jump the (GAP) barrier. Use the forest plants and tree's to judge soil types and when they change it's a soil barrier. Latt I think this is what you are seeing in your reed morel patch.

Re:come on spring time 10 years 1 month ago #27579

Trahn007,
Always great to hear from you. Shroomdawg and I speak of your knowledge often. I remember I thought morels loved rusty metal because I always found morels at the rusty fence line and around rusty dump piles. I remember you pointed out to me about the \"barrier theory\" and I am a believer. This explains why I find morels growing out in a farm field in the sun 2 to 6 feet from the woods line

As far as the reed patch, it goes like this. Creek on the right side and farm field on the left side. Not a host tree within 300 yards. So I am stumped.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 343 guests and no members online

Login