2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need help with morels

need help with morels 9 years 11 months ago #28084

OK I've gone threw all the posts n got some good info but still have some questions. I live in northern NY bout 30 miles north of fort drum or Watertown.I'd like to know when I should start looking. I have lots of elm,ash ,cherry,red oak. Some maple ,poplar,white pine. I have some small ridges n a couple nobs. Now most of it is grassed by beef cows but don't go into pasture for at least another 3 weeks or longer really depends on how the grass grows. I don't know if this helps or makes it worse. Any info would b greatly appreciated. Thxs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:need help with morels 9 years 11 months ago #28086

Hobler I've never morel hunted that far North but I do know your area. Not prime Morel area. About 10 years back I talked with a lady that had moved to your area from my area and had a very hard time finding morels. She was a seasoned morel hunter and did manage to find some black morels up your way. My best advice would be to go on morels.com and post a message on the NY site.

Re:need help with morels 9 years 11 months ago #28087

Also the tree's you want to look for morels are the elm, ash and poplar. If your going to find any in your area they will be within these tree's.

Re:need help with morels 9 years 11 months ago #28089

Thxs trahn

Re:need help with morels 9 years 11 months ago #28090

Hobbler...

On when to really start looking based on tree blooms - which I would think should work whether you are in the south like me or up north like you...

When Red Bud trees start blooming (based on my experience the past 4 years) that is about as early as you can find them and mostly blacks will be up then.

When Dog Wood blooms are just starting (not full flowers yet, but blooms opening) you better be out there looking.

A few weeks after that the Red Buds blooms will play out... and that is getting late in the time frame you will find them.

When dogwood blooms are gone, you might as well go fishing.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 473 guests and no members online

Login