2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: anyone know what this is

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28765

Second group are oysters, an even better edible in my opinion then chicken of the woods due to consistancy and flavor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28770

Thxs shroom I didn't know oysters also grew stems. Founds some this spring and loved them. Those chickens I found werefull of tiny worms still fried up a llittle bit to try. And liked them too.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28771

Hobler,
Most likely the Branched Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae) verses the typical Oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus). However, please do not eat it based on my info provided. I am not all that familiar with the Branched Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae). I mainly eat the traditional Pleurotus ostreatus variety.

Scott any thoughts????

Latt

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28773

I hear ya latt

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28813

Latt wrote:

Hobler,
Most likely the Branched Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae) verses the typical Oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus). However, please do not eat it based on my info provided. I am not all that familiar with the Branched Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae). I mainly eat the traditional Pleurotus ostreatus variety.

Scott any thoughts????

Latt

Latt, I am not seeing anything that points to Pleurotus cornucopiae in that pic vs. what I can find on the web, those are just an uncommon formation of our common summer oysters IMO. As I searched here various sites for cultivating Pleurotus cornucopiae which would mean even if was that obscure subspecies, it would be edible since people grow it. I hope that helps.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28932

Any one know what these r n r they edible?
Attachments:

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28938

Hobbler, I am 99.999 % sure they are \"Black Staining Polypore\". Please do not eat unless you have an expert confirm. Those appear to be in the younger stage of growth and should be more tender than an old one. I have attached a recipe below from Chris Matherly a world renowned mushroom enthusiast.

morelmushroomhunting.com/slow_cooked_meripilus_and_%20beef.htm

Tran or Scott, do you agree those are Black Staining Polypore?

Thanks,
Latt

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 9 months ago #28956

If after cutting or dinged up it stains black 30 minutes or so after than absolutely, I am willing to say with out that clue basd on photos alone that is correct Latt. Those are nice young and fresh and I have never found them at that stage to give them a try, I hear they are good, not great but good eating and woul like to try some day.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 8 months ago #28981

Latt, I would say black staining poly also. Not a Berkley or Hen. As shroomdawg stated cut and check for black staining. Not one I like but ediable.

Re:anyone inow what this is 9 years 8 months ago #28989

Hobbler,
I would say you are good to go. Hypothetically, even if all 3 of us are wrong there are not many polypores that are harmful in my opinion. That mushroom is definitely a polypore and like Tran said it is not a hen or a berkley tho. Polypores grow on wood not from dirt. You eat the wrong mushroom growing from dirt and you die. There are some poisonous mushrooms (typically not a polypore) that grow on wood but not as many that grow from dirt.

Like shroomdawg said, check the cut and staining test.

Thanks Shroomdawg and Tran.

Hobbler, I would not hesitate to try it if it were me.
Latt

Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds

Who's Online

We have 341 guests and no members online

Login