2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dry Land Fish

Re:Dry Land Fish 13 years 2 months ago #8555

Bet you guys know what these are. Thought I would grow a few indoors. I have never had any luck growing sang inside but we'll see how these do.
Latt

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Dry Land Fish 13 years 2 months ago #8556

Last year wasn't good for around here either, by the time we got enough rain to do any good it was too hot

Re:Dry Land Fish 13 years 2 months ago #8558

Latt, I live in guernsey county, and it was really dry around here last spring too. Didn't find a whole lot of morels around here last spring either, but found a patch of chantrelles like you wouldn't believe in July. Found a few chickens last year as well. Guess quite a few of us old sengers just love spending time in the woods. not a lot of places I'd rather be.:lol:

Re:Dry Land Fish 13 years 2 months ago #8559

5prong, I couldn't agree more. I am originally from Muskingum county so I am sure back in the day we were in the woods only miles apart. Guernsey County has some nice woods and hills and I am sure you have some old honey holes for shrooms and sang. I still hunt Muskingum County and have over 10 lbs of seed planted there 2 years ago and it is doing great.

I agree with you on the chantrelles. It was my best year ever for them and helped make up for the bad morel season. My son Kurt and I found a spot in the woods that was 3 acres and full of chantrelles. I had many spots that produced, but those 3 acres were a sea of golden chants. They were everywhere and the woods never let me down for over a month or so. The woods is full of hickory and Oak too. As you already know Hens and Chantrelles are associated with Oak trees just as Morels are with Elm, Ash and Apple.

I know many of us old timers on here look at trees and companion plants just as much as we do for Mushrooms and Ginseng when we are hunting.

Kurt really got into mushroom hunting with me last year. We would head out every night when we got home from work. Nothing better than spending time with one of your boys teaching them about the woods. I am truly blessed!

Then my youngest son Matt really got into ginseng hunting with me. We hunted and transplanted some roots. He even helped me plant some seed. He is amazed at the potential profits that a 1 pound bag of ginseng seed can turn into. My third and oldest son Chad is too busy with college and his girlfriend and his job which I understand. I hope he gets to learn a little bit about the woods too someday when the time is right for him.

My boys are 20, 21 and 23. They really didn't like learning about the woods when they were younger. They were too interested in girls, sports and hanging out with buds to go in the woods. I never wanted to force them to like the things that I like. But things change and my little buddies that aren't so little anymore are starting to enjoy the woods. It's a dream come true and I look forward to hitting the woods more than ever with my buds.
Latt

Re:Dry Land Fish 13 years 2 months ago #8569

What are these mushrooms you speak of?

Re:Dry Land Fish 12 years 11 months ago #9255

ok here ya go Latt, i know you are curious to know how the season is starting down south....lol.....i picked so many today i finally got tired and just headed back to the truck tromping and stomping and kicking those dang mushrooms into thousands of pieces...grrrrr.. Seriously in tennessee with the rain that we just had the other day i think most areas got a good flush the 75 degree temp did wonders.
Attachments:

Re:Dry Land Fish 12 years 11 months ago #9256

Interesting when i was drying out those morels as they were drying they were releasing spores all over the screen they were on....i got me some mushroom eggs..never dried them before so this is a first for me. looks like baby powder
Attachments:

Re:Dry Land Fish 12 years 11 months ago #9257

K_Duce,
Wow, I think we are about 2 weeks behind you up here in central Ohio. I hope my first day out in the woods is similar to your day today. I went out at lunch today and checked one of my spots. It's not a black spot thou, so I didn't expect much. Nothing yet.
Do you think this year will be as good as the famous morel year of 2008 from what you saw today?
Thanks for the pics,
Latt

Re:Dry Land Fish 12 years 11 months ago #9259

Latt, that was yesterdays pick today i found about 50 more and i also let some friends come over and hunt they said they did pretty good as well, today i ran into some whites and they were little fingerlings, the blacks were pretty meaty not like the usual flimsy blacks they had a texture more like the whites, Unfortunatley in 2008 i missed it because of work out of state, From what i have seen this year it looks like it will be bountiful but short, we are looking at warmer temps for the next several days and the woods are just exploding with greenery, I already have goldenseal with flowers on them. Last year i found quite a few morels as well around the 23rd of april according to my datestamp but i just dont see that happening this year, everything seems to be about 2 weeks ahead of schedule here, maybe it was due to the unusually early and long winter.

Re:Dry Land Fish 12 years 11 months ago #9260

I don't see any super fresh morels in the pic, as a matter of fact some of them have been up for awhile. I am not sure where you are in TN but I am going to guess you are going to have at least 2 more weeks of good picking judging by the photo.
Not that I know much about it all. But anyhow, good luck to you!

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 538 guests and no members online

Login