* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
misc roots and herbs
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed

Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27727

Hey folks, anyone know where I can get some seed or rootlets of 'Horney Goat Weed?\" I would like to get some and start growing a small patch of it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27729

Whitjr,

The post that you made had me wondering if I had seen this herb before and I \"goggled it up\". While I don't think the plant that I have growing in my woodlots at my house are the one you have in mind I do think some of the outward looks of the plants are similar. While folks are reading your post maybe I can get an identification of the one that I have so many of just outside my windows. I have wondered about this plant for several years and I have looked at many pictures of woodland plants, to no avail. Maybe someone can help with putting a name on the board for this beautiful little companion plant to ginseng.

Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27730

I took the original pictures of ginseng plants that were emerging and they are in the middle of the pictures. The companion plants are on the outsides of the frame in both shots. I hope someone can help.

Hugh

Attachments:

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27731

Hi Hugh,

Those could be Sessile Bellworts, or \"Wild Oats\" to some.

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27732

Good day to you Cguerette,
Thank you for the quick identification. This is one of the most abundant plants that I have growing with my ginseng and it fits nicely to help shade and not out compete the plantings that I have made.

Hugh

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27734

Hi Hugh,

Sure. I'm brand new to this site but have already learned a lot about Ginseng and woodland plants just from reading through old posts. This website has been a great resource so I'm glad if I can contribute. My interest is mainly in learning about wild-simulated Ginseng and I'm looking forward to continue learning by reading here.

I don't see \"Wild Oats\" very often myself where I hike in Vermont and New Hampshire but I'm sure it's around. I learned about Wild Oats/Sessile Bellwort from a neat book called \"Wild edible plants of Maine\" by Tom Seymour.

-Chris

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27737

I agree with the bellwort. Here's a picture of what I've seen in May/June.
Attachments:

Re:Looking to obtain some "horney goat weed" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27754

Welcome to this forum - cguerette!

I'm still looking for seeds or rootstock for Horney Goat weed... anyone know of someone that has any?

Re:Looking to obtain some "horney goat weed" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27756

Whitjr,
I can't tell you of anyone who grows this plant in our community, but here is a link that is to a commercial seller and there is a lot of information about the plants as well as a huge selection of different varieties. When you look through his selection you will see why I thought there were some similarities between the Horny Goat Weed plants and the plants that I have growing at my house. Epimedium is the name given to the Goatweed plant and if you Google it up there is a picture that looks almost identical to the Sessile Bellwort plant in the pictures that I posted. Good luck.
Hugh

http://www.plantdelights.com/Epimedium-for-sale/buy-Fairy-Wings/Epimediums/

Re:Looking to obtain some \"horney goat weed\" seed 10 years 2 weeks ago #27770

Hey Frank- Thanks for posting this source. That nursery is only about an hour away from me. I just sent them an email about it....

How did you find them? thanks,again....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 772 guests and no members online

Login