2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your questions and answers about ginseng's medical effects.
You can also post your experience for others to read
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption

Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 7 years 6 months ago #39218

Below is a pic that shows how I like to prep my wild ginseng for personal consumption.

I like to keep smaller roots that have 20+ years of age for my own use. Found a few of those this weekend.

I washed them good, but not over washed. It is OK and Healthy to leave a little dirt on them. A little dirt is good for your gut.

While they are still green I like to slice them up in very thin slices. About as thin as I can slice them. They dry out really quick, and are really easy to chew up if you do them this way. They are sort of flaky like a potato chip once dry if you slice them nice and thin.

The smaller fine root hair I just cut those to 1-2\" lengths.

The necks are quite tuff... and I dry them out and then run them thru my vitamix blender once good and dry and it turns them into a semi fine grind, somewhat like coffee grounds.

I like to mix eating some chips, some fine hair root and a bit of root neck together when possible.

They are fine to eat dry, or if you want to bring back the taste and texture of green sang you can let them steep in a cup of hot water like you would tea or fix you a cup of tea or green tea and put a few sang chips or pieces in there with your tea and let it steep 4-5 minutes. A little raw honey for sweetner and you got yourself a good drink.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 7 years 5 months ago #39516

As a root buyer always end up with pieces and cut roots green i chop em into pieces similar to yours and put in a jar and fill with Hotdam . I take a teaspoon with a few pieces in it when needed . A tasty tincture . And getting these pieces out of the roots I sell makes my collection look more appealing to the buyer .

Re:Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 7 years 4 months ago #39621

As the end of the growing season came I harvested several nice leaf sets from my seed producing bed and some wild simulated I have growing.

I let them dry out good (top of pic)... and then put them in my vitamix blender along with several root necks from other root that I kept and sliced.

The root necks are tuf... so I prefer to grind them and use them in tea.

So the bottom part of this pic shows some dried root slices and fine root in one container... and in the one on the right the grind from a mix of leaves, stems, and root necks.

That grind makes a nice tea.

Boil 6 oz of water, take it off the rolling boil and let settle for a minute or so, then add 1/2 teaspoon of this grind (mix of leaves, stems, rootnecks) and then let it steep for 5-6 minutes, then filter thru a coffee filter.

Add a little honey and lemon to taste and enjoy.

TNHunter
Attachments:

Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 6 years 9 months ago #40142

I finished the last of my ginseng tea from those ground leaves quit a while ago... and just a couple of weeks ago finished eating all of those slices.
I have 6 more whole roots dried that I had stored and pulled those out... and ground them up to make more for my own consumption.
I grind them in my vita-mix blender and it does a good job of that. About 30 seconds and it is done.

I like it ground like this. Just grab a pinch and chew it up and wash it down with a little water.

These older roots have some zip to them.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 6 years 9 months ago #40144

it seems to me the older roots and them being dry for awhile,they do seem to have more zip to them....

Prepping Wild Ginseng for Personal Consumption 6 years 7 months ago #40317

I dry a few every year and grind them to a fine powder. I then fill some gel capsules and make wild ginseng pills. It sure is a great plant.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Who's Online

We have 125 guests and no members online

Login