2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter?

Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11258

I heard mention in another thread about a kind made of PVC with a blade on the end. Today I tried a piece of 1/2\" metal pipe with the end cut at a long angle; didn't work well at all. Seems like one of the biggest problems is getting it to open up the ground but keeping it shallow enough while doing so.
I'm aware of the rake & broadcast methods, BTW. Just looking for ideas for those areas where I can't/don't want to rake; which I have a bunch of. This will be my first year ever planting \"bought\" seed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11260

Check out the EFC Ginseng seed seeder.
www.castleen.com/ecf/ginsengseeder.html

Latt

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11263

Thanks Latt. I did check out the ad. Too bad I can't see it. I'd feel foolish buying something I haven't seen. Has anyone used one of these? And if so, how well does it work?

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11270

Here is a description of a seed planting stick and how to make it. From Appalachian Ginseng.

Scroll down to \"Making a Seeding Device\" and \"Seeding Procedure\"

www.a-spi.org/AGF/manual1.htm

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11702

Last year, I made heavy use of a seed drill, the Johnny Seeds SeedStick. With the smallest cup (they supply two cups with it), it was just right for ginseng seed, and the hopper holds about 1/4 pound of seed. It's quick, just jab in the ground and push, and has adjustable depth, though you want to be sure to rake over the holes after planting.

However... I had rotten germination last year. Don't know if it was the seed drill, a bad load of seeds (several people reported poor germination from seeds from multiple sources this year), or something else.

So, in your quest to plant more quicker, just remember that planting quickly is a waste of time and seed if they don't germinate.

Going to test several patches this fall, one with the seedstick, a couple rake/scatter at various depths, etc... hopefully I'll get an answer on whether the seedstick was a problem.

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a \"standing up\" single seed planter? 12 years 7 months ago #11783

Johno- I'd be interested in how that comparison goes... please post results of how it goes? Thanks....

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a 12 years 5 months ago #13838

EDinOH wrote:

Thanks Latt. I did check out the ad. Too bad I can't see it. I'd feel foolish buying something I haven't seen. Has anyone used one of these? And if so, how well does it work?

Thanks for mentioning my seeder Latt.

Ed, My seeder is pretty simple. I had a reason to not publish pictures. I'm not so worried about it now, so for the first time I'll make them public. Here is the instructions page to which I send folks who buy the seeder.

www.castleen.com/ecf/seederinstructions/seeder.html

Here is a picture of my boy when he was about nine using the ECF Seeder for the first time.

I still make these by hand, so there is a little bit of lead time on them (a couple weeks depending on how backed up I am)

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a 12 years 5 months ago #13847

BCastle-

Thanks for making the photos available. Like EdinOh, I was reluctant to consider getting one w/o some photograph to go by.

Do you sell a less expensive one?

I thought I saw a early planter from the Project Gutenberg literature, howeve after reviewing it jyust now, I did not find it again. I saw one somewhere, just not there.

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a 12 years 5 months ago #13873

No Whitjr, I don't. In fact, I'm barely breaking even on these at this point with the time and rise in the cost of the materials.

However, I have seen a simple seeder that has a sort of trap door that you open with a lever to drop the seed. If I recall correctly, it was made primarily out of plastic pipe. When I have more time, I plan on toying with this idea a little and see if I can come up with something that is more modestly priced and still sturdy enough to use in the woods. I am also working on an idea similar to that of the old antique corn planters. Unfortunately, like many of you in this economy, I have to work too much to tinker as much as I'd like.

Re:Anyone have a good idea for a "standing up" single seed planter? 12 years 5 months ago #13889

I experimented some with a sharpshooter type shovel this morning with a pvc pipe taped on for seed delivery.

Seemed to work well.

www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages...log_Page.asp?mi=1605

I will take a picture of it soon and post, perhaps a youtube vid too.

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 205 guests and no members online

Login