2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper)

Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11504

I read a post by HillHopper where he stated that some of his 3 leafers have already died away for this year but have the bud for nexts years growth.

I've sent a email to ClassicFur with a question similar to this but how many of you guys 3 leaf beds are yellowing up and already going away? I have a pound that was planted on a East/SouthEast facing slope, though down in a hollow and they are green and seem to be healthy while I have some on a North facing slope that 1 pound has diminished to 25% left. Those 3 leafers would yellow up and go away as if it were later in the year. Of the 25% left there are some healthy vibrant plants as well as some yeloowing up. Is anybody else seeing this or do I have a fungus in my 3 leafs? 1 pound was sewn in a 30'x50' bed in Febuary, the others doing better were sewn in November.

Thoughts anybody?

Wild Crafter............

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11516

Hey in my beds they are still just as green as a gord. Some maybe a little yellow but very few like 3 or more. Even in my two year old beds which are mostly 5 leafers with some two prongs here and their, are still good and healthy. I really don't know what is going on their. but i talked with Ozark Mtn. Ginseng and Dennis told me that if a three leafer made it untilthe middle of July that it would survive to live another day.

But wildcrafter do you use any kind of spray because it sounds like you planted awful thick. I use Manzate on my beds that are planted real thick. It may have something to do in that area. I would like to see the beds before telling you anything for sure.

But anyways good luck with the planting and i hope they do well.

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11517

Could it be lack of rain there? Are the two beds you mention close to each other?

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11523

The near 100 degree temps and a lack of significant rain for three weeks im sure is what sent mine down. Most that yellowed and went down were in a spot that got a little more light at mid-day than the rest. They grew a bit larger than the others and put on some really fat growth buds for next year so, all is well. With a type of disease in your Sang you will notice necrotic leaf tissue where in them going dormant it will be a uniform yellowing of the whole plant. This is the plant telling itself \" Ok, I dont want to expend any energy to keep my top with nothing to gain. Let's save what we have and start again next year.\" Lower down the hill and in more shade there are lots still up and plenty green. I have also noticed this in younger wild plants where as older plants are still doing fine, I would assume due to a larger and deeper root structure.
Good luck

Hillhopper

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11525

Hello hillbilly, no I didn't spray. After I floated my seeds I had probably less than 3/4 # that i planted in that bed, the floaters were planted in another are to see what they will do, at the moment the floaters look good, they are in a more shaded area. I think that too much sunlight could have been my trouble, I will take up one to examine its root growth and to see if there is a bud for next season present.

Hello Whitjr, rainfall has been just right for this Summer with no long dry spells. My Febuary bed borders my November bed and the November planted plants look ok, however they were planted in 2 different styles. The Nov plants I planted them in trenches running uphill/downhill every 4\" apart and 12\" between the rows, they appear to be all there ofr 2# of seed. Te Feb planted 'seng was rake back the leaves and broadcast the seed, then rake soil down from above and cover with leaf mulch.

Hello Hilhopper, it sure sounds good to read what you wrote about making it til mid July as that is when I noticed them going away, but taking some up to look will tell the tale.

I will update with what I find.....

Wild Crafter..........

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11571

I sampled 2 three leafers that grew together and was pleased to see their roots to be average size of 1st year plants and they also had their growth buds on them for next season. I wish I had dug a couple of those that were yellowed up 3 weeks ago, but I imagine they may be just starting to go dormant for the Fall a little earlier to prepare for next year as HillHopper said.

Wild Crafter..........

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11572

Survival Mechanism.Root Makes the Leaves Die back to keep the Leaves From Draining Moisture out of the root.I've Observed many Different tricks that Plants Use out in the Wild in order to Survive.

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11594

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
WildCrafter

I hope that those 3 leafers that faded early come back for you next season.

Billy.

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11629

heres a few from my pound of seed i bought last winter i plan on gettin atleast another pound this year
Attachments:

Re:Your 3 leaf beds (HillHopper) 12 years 7 months ago #11630

heres a few from my pound of seed i bought last winter i plan on gettin atleast another pound this year
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 173 guests and no members online

Login