Some hard knocks for the first year seng grower here in Middle TN.
Figure we might as well share the bad times too - perhaps others will learn by it.
We have had a brutal drought with extreme high temps most of July and into August.
My seed bed was looking good Mid July, had to water a few times, but at that point it was looking decent. Had lots of berry pods full of green berries. I checked on it again last weekend (and watered again) and noticed first that my little 3 prong (in a spot just around the hill from my seed bed)- that I started from a small 2 prong root a couple years ago had expired and all of the other 9 plants around that area were gone.
Here is what my little 3 prong looked like today.
Now that is a real BUMMER !
I collected 3 of the larger green berries and will plant them just to give them a chance.
I went out and checked on my 3 leafers today to see how they were doing.
I expected that they would be really stressed out and many expired from the heat and dry.
First here is some pics from wild ginseng that is growing in the same hollow that I planted in.
This hot/dry spell has been hard on the wild stuff too.
Last time that I was in this hollow there were 3 smallish 3 prongs in this same location that I could not find any evidence of today. Completely gone. Not sure if they were browsed or if they just expired from the heat a few weeks back and I could not find them.
The lil 3 prong above is all but a goner and has a couple green berries on it. I am going to check on it again soon and hope they turn red and I will plant them if they do.