2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking forward to planting this fall!

Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11699

I'm sooo looking forward to getting new seed in the ground this fall. This year was an incredible learning curve, some big dissapointments as well, however some real incentive to go forward.

What are you guys going to plant this year? Me- I've got 6 more pounds coming to get in. Gonna try some rootlets as well, again.

You guys looking forward to it as well?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11705

Hello WhitJr, I am also looking forward to it. I want to try a different mulching method by using straw and also a thicker leaf mulch and might remove some of it in March. Won't know for sure til its over on how much is gonna get planted. My plans are to have mine done before December. Last years Feb planting wasn't too succesful perhaps due to the seed sprouting in the bag. Put out 3 lb in Nov and done better. Keep us posted....

Wild Crafter..........

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11710

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
About 2 pound a year for 6 more years the good Lord willing Whitjr

Whitjr wrote:

I'm sooo looking forward to getting new seed in the ground this fall. This year was an incredible learning curve, some big dissapointments as well, however some real incentive to go forward.

What are you guys going to plant this year? Me- I've got 6 more pounds coming to get in. Gonna try some rootlets as well, again.

You guys looking forward to it as well?

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11716

My first year planting too....

I hope that I learned something from you guys.I guess I'll find out next May..I only ordered 1 pound maybe I'll go 2 next year...

How are you planning to plant?I'm make'n small beds-double rake and growing with at least 3 or more companion plants.This is all going to be wild root plantings.I need to secure some land to make some beds next season....

Thanks for all the help....FTB

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11723

Hey guys don't look to forward the planting but look forward seeing the end result in April. That planting is hard work let me tell you.

This year i ordered two pounds to plant along with what my own plants produce. And also i ordered 50 three year old roots to plant i plan on making me a small tilled bed about 4 to 6 inches deep and i plan on fertilizing them pretty heavy just for a seed bed and just to see how big of tops i can get. I don't ever plan on selling them so i don't care to fertilize them pretty heavy. I thought it would be an interesting project just to see how big and pretty they could get.

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11725

hillbilly is right,

Planting is hard work and planting 1 or 2 lbs. taking your time is better than 5 or 6 lbs planted in a hurry.

I used to clear 5 feet wide stretches leaf raking and sowing seed but now I use a fiskar high tensil steel 3 prong rake that's about 4 to 5 inches wide that has a strong long aluminum handle. You can really scratch the ground up for the seed planting. I plant small round patches a step apart. No transplanting later on, just let it grow. Of course you could put down a little bonemeal and gypsum in the process.

rootman

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11730

I'll be doing as Rootman is writing about. There's a great \"tutorial\" on youtube by one of our own [TNHunter]that really assisted me in determining just how to do it.

I'll be planting a more extensive beds behind my home as well. I put in two small beds, and am going to do the entire treeline back there tjhis year. I'm also going to try a couple of kid pools and grow them for a year and transplant out of that. I'll be putting these in my greenhouse, and I'm sure that they'll have enough shade in there.

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11782

Rootman- I hear ya about planting in a hurry. I'm going to be replanting mostly in the mountains, after the extensive soil testing, and soil amendments work I've done. Next year will be better.

Also, a new bed at my home, and two greenhouse beds are in the works. It's going to be a better year, this next one!

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11804

Whitjr wrote:

Rootman- I hear ya about planting in a hurry. I'm going to be replanting mostly in the mountains, after the extensive soil testing, and soil amendments work I've done. Next year will be better.

Also, a new bed at my home, and two greenhouse beds are in the works. It's going to be a better year, this next one!

Whitjr,

If you have the land, I'd say go for it.

But remember Murphy's law, what can go wrong usually does for me. It takes awhile for plants from ordered seed to get hardened off and adapted to the ground and climate it's growing in. But once you have berries from these I think the genetics kick in and do better.

Re:Looking forward to planting this fall! 12 years 7 months ago #11835

rootman wrote:

hillbilly is right,

Planting is hard work and planting 1 or 2 lbs. taking your time is better than 5 or 6 lbs planted in a hurry.

I used to clear 5 feet wide stretches leaf raking and sowing seed but now I use a fiskar high tensil steel 3 prong rake that's about 4 to 5 inches wide that has a strong long aluminum handle. You can really scratch the ground up for the seed planting. I plant small round patches a step apart. No transplanting later on, just let it grow. Of course you could put down a little bonemeal and gypsum in the process.

rootman

Rootman

I'm more or less doing your system on small patches.How many seeds per-1 foot square? All yeah about how deep on dirt and mulch...

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 483 guests and no members online

Login