2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: plant survival rates

plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1202

I planted 10-12 seeds per sq.ft. in tilled beds under natural shade in the woods.Does anyone know the average amount of mature plants i should expect to harvest per sq. ft. after natural attrition? The site is facing NE with good drainage and wild seng growing near the tilled beds.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1203

I have just recently got into growing ginseng heavily. I don't know to much about the survival rate on the planting, but i do know planting that dense you had better have a disease prevention plan, because that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, unless you plan on spraying a lot.

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1208

hi hillbilly, thanks for your reply. i plan on spraying weekly with fungicies.some of my 2 year olds and seedligs are starting to come up.this is a good time of the year.cant wait til their all up. lynno

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1209

lenno you could probably get away with spraying once ever two weeks i know some people who go that route and they usually quit spraying around july or first of august when the real hot dry days come around. they say u really don't have to worry as much then. I really don't know i plant far enough apart that i usually don't have to worry about disease.

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1223

• Guy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I don't want you to get pissed at me but you'll be lucky to get 1 in four feet unless ya spray like jack and then maybe 1 in one foot.

This will be classed woods grown?

Guy

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1229

Guy, I certainly hope you are wrong.My plants seem to be very healthy and I do spray. I know of other growers planting this close and have seen pics online of ginseng farms planting closely together.{Hardings and glacial gold are a couple} I have also considered thinning and selling 2 and 3 year old roots. Do you grow and how close are yours? Thanks for your reply,Lenno

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1230

Anyone else out there planting this close or is this unheard of? What is the best plant spacing to get the most out of your ground? I have also planted some beds 6 and 8 per sq. ft.Any experienced growers advice would be appreciated.

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1232

Lenno you need to talk to Larry Harding hes a real nice guy. I have talked to him a many a times. he has helped me out along the way in my growing process. He loves to talk ginseng so be prepared to be on the phone for awhile. He is the only one that i know that grows this dense. He has done it successfully for awhile know.

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1235

Hillbilly,I just started growing sang and plants are from 1 to3 inches apart and coming up nicely this must be to close? I hate to say it but spray \"what\"? I'm going to try and post a picture if I can , will you tell me my mistakes????

Re:plant survival rates 14 years 11 months ago #1236

Lenno, Harding is a commercial grower and has all the equipment needed to maintain a healthy crop thru to the harvesting and drying. A weekly multiple pesticide spraying rotation will be needed to keep the crop healthy at these planting rates, unless you have more than a bushel of horse shoes up yer ass. I've been growin for along time now and use no chemicals or pesticides. The spacing that works for my conditions are 1 plant per foot in a row and the rows 3 feet apart. This will be about 10 pounds of seed per acre with 75% germination, give or take , cause everything is done by hand. You can see the spacing of an 8 year old garden with the youngsters between em in the (pictures of sang thread).

Guy

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 582 guests and no members online

Login