2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: This years seed arriving; let's see some samples!

This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13464

I got my 5 lbs yesterday. Results from examining split seeds are not good so far. I'm still trying to work out if these seeds are viable or not. I'll post results when I've made a determination. Your cooperation in this thread would help.
If your seed has arrived, please take a sample of about 20 seeds and post results. Embryo development size in millimeters and photos would be awesome! This can be a great learning tool for many of us, so let's see 'um!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13466

Still trying to figure this out; thought I'd go ahead and post my results as maybe you guys can help. The supplier I bought them from is being very helpful and cooperative and has no problem with refunding my money. At this point though, I just want to know if I've got good seeds or not. I'd rather have good seeds than my money back.

1. Rotten with a red fungal disease; hollow inside.
2. 0.35mm
3. 0.60mm
4. 1.52mm
5. 0.57mm
6. 0.62mm
7. 0.89mm
8. 0.42mm
9. 0.90mm
10. 2.46mm
11. 0.87mm
12. 0.89mm
13. 0.76mm
14. 0.94mm
15. Diseased with red fungi; hollow cavity in interior. No embryo found.
16. 1.12mm
17. 0.60mm
18. 1.64mm
19. 0.73mm
20. 2.05mm

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13469

EDinOH,
I do not see any embryo's at all. Is it just the pic or are there none visible?
Latt

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13471

Latt wrote:

EDinOH,
I do not see any embryo's at all. Is it just the pic or are there none visible?
Latt

They're almost all visible. Most are, I think (??), un-developed or under-developed and look like tiny circles near the edge of the husks. Look at the measurements below the photo that correspond with the seed #'s in the photo. Also, I think Photobucket has re-sized my photo and it's a little smaller than when originally posted.
To see it better you can save the photo onto your computer and enlarge it. I tried that and it works.

Here's where to look:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13531

EDinOH and others

I received 3 lbs of seeds yesterday. When I looked at the bags of seeds it seemed like there were more seeds then what I ordered. I had tree bags that should be 1 lb each. I weighed them on a digetal scale and they each had 21 oz in them, not 16 oz. I called my seed supplier that I have bought seeds from for the past eight years. They told me that they sent a bonus, since I buy seeds from them every year. Praise The Lord! I received about 6000 seeds free!

I cracked open about thirty seeds. Most of the embryo's were about 2-3.5 mm long. There were a few that measured 1-2 mm long. And one had an embryo that was a dark brown color. Did not find any disease in the ones I cracked open (unless the dark one is diseased). I'm happy with what my seeds look like.

From Ontario Ginseng Growers Manual:
\"One way to check whether seeds are developing well is to measure the embryo. Split the seed along the suture line. The embryo is in a sack at the micropyle end of the seed (the pore end). A well-developed embryo at the time of planting should be about 2-3 mm long. The embryo will grow over the winter and will be about 5mm at the time of germination. If the embryo is less than 2mm in length it may not germinate next spring but the spring after, if diseases have not broken it down by then.\"

I did find out that if you split the seed a lttle off center, it won't show the embryo. Also I found that by letting the seeds sit for about an hour, the embryo shows up better in the photos.

The pics below show the seeds with the seeds turned so that the embryo is at the bottom of each seed.
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13532

Here's a close-up
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13536

Pretty scientific, guys. I guess we have to be to protect our interests.

I am expecting my seed next month, and will post the results then.

Is anyone doing germination tests as well?

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13537

Classicfur- The 2nd photo above is of the same group?

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13538

Whitjr

Yes, the seeds that are in the second photo are the same seeds that are in the first. I took a bunch of photos(about 12), some with a pale green background and some on a white sheet of paper. But the seeds are not in the same order on the white paper as they were on the green paper.

I'll tell ya, it's hard to get good quality close-up pics of those tiny embryo's. I guess you'll find out when your seeds arrive.

I'm not doing any germination tests. After seven years of planting seeds from the same supplier, I don't feel the need to test them.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #13544

I have 2 lbs ordered - should be here Sept 28.

I took the first week in October off from work (Oct 3-7) but if you count the weekends I have Saturday Oct 1 thru Saturday Oct 8 off from work.

Can't wait to get out there and put some seeds in the ground.

I will check for embryo development when they arrive and post some pics.

The seed supplier said the batch looked good, several were smiling :-)

TNhunter

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Who's Online

We have 419 guests and no members online

Login