2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Will Ginseng grow outdoors in Alaska if I shelter it for the winter months

Will Ginseng grow outdoors in Alaska if I shelter it for the winter months 14 years 10 months ago #1356

• Daniel
  • Daniel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am wondering if Ginseng will grow out doors in the southcentral region of Alaska that is if I tood the roots in for the freezing months and simulated a winter. I have Devils Club (Oplopanux horridus)
refered to by many experts as Alaska Ginseng. I know the two plants are of no direct relation,(Alaska ginseng is more closely realated to Siberian plants), however I also think that the growing conditions in Alaska are ideal for panax ginseng (American ginseng), if one takes away the deep freeze that we have up here for the winter months.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Will Ginseng grow outdoors in Alaska if I shelter it for the winter months 14 years 10 months ago #1357

I think the length of the growing season is more important.

Ginseng needs the frozen ground each year. Remember, central and eastern Canada is a natural climate for Ginseng. I suggest to buy a few roots and a few seeds and see what happens.

MMG

Re:Will Ginseng grow outdoors in Alaska if I shelter it for the winter months 14 years 10 months ago #1363

Daniel i have no idea on this topic, but i do know they grow it in other places where it does not normally grow like in California and There is this one guy who has a successful ginseng farm in Australia, and they are some in Sweden, but Alaska is a whole different ballgame. Take MMG's advice and just try a few roots and see what happens. Keep us informed I would love to know the outcome of this project.

Re:Will Ginseng grow outdoors in Alaska if I shelter it for the winter months 14 years 7 months ago #2049

• WildNtheWoods
  • WildNtheWoods's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Daniel says ,giving ginseng an artificial winter in Alaska ,No need they winter just fine although I have made some poor choices in terms of shade .It sis even more critical here because the season is short .I have good luck on a south south west facing hilside maximizing heat ,Remember it REALLY is a whole different game up here and ordinary rules dont exactly apply .The only thing to do is plant,watch and adjust .I will continue and report now and then .

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 511 guests and no members online

Login