2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: 1 year roots I grew.

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 5 months ago #15604

Hillhopper,

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of that root. I think in a few years, they start looking more and more wild as they go as long as you don't put any fertilizer on them.

If I had to guess, I'll bet you dug that close to a walnut tree...right?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 5 months ago #15609

Brad,
I'll check but I think it's primarily Poplar with a few Red Maples mixed in. The larger root came from an area that received a bit more light than the rest of last years plantings did. The heat in July put them down early but they still put on plenty of growth. Wow Brad, judging by your karma, your getting more popular every minute!:ohmy:

Hillhopper

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 5 months ago #15612

Yes...denial manefest ROFL

I say walnut because I have noticed a correlation between large roots and walnut trees. I have talked to some other growers, and they have also noticed a connection. If you get the chance, plant a patch next to a big mature walnut and see how they do. Now, walnuts leaf out late and drop early, so the additional light might have some bearring on this too.

I always thought it had to do with the acidity of the soil making for a prime growing location for ginseng. I also talked to a guy from southern Ohio in the strip mine area and he said he noticed not only the walnuts, but coal banks too produced big ginseng.

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 5 months ago #15613

The calcium in this area is extremely high (over 6,000lb per acre). I also used sulpher to bring the ph down a point due it being nuetral in result of all the limestone.

Hillhopper

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 4 months ago #16150

I would have cut the root bud off that one and planted it back into my brood patch.

Re:1 year roots I grew. 12 years 4 months ago #16151

Mountains here rose above the sea first.We have acid soil.That coal bank probably had some sulfer.In some places we need to add lime.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 755 guests and no members online

Login