2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: herbicides

herbicides 12 years 4 months ago #16132

Be careful what you spray.Many forest plants are extremely valuable.Most of those plants go dormant in winter.Weeds such as poison oak & privit will die if sprayed in winter.This is the best time to spray.Jack in the puilpuits,trillums,mayapple,solomons seal,ect,are not weeds.Molds & disease cross from one plant to the other in a monocrop.The ginseng needs its neibors.Iv`e been planting for 25 years.I am a fith generation sang farmer.I dig a row and when i come to an obstical i go around.Seeds are planted 3 inches apart.Flame azaleas are not honeysuckle,I hope nobody pulles that up.The PH where azaleas grow is around 4.5 way too acidic.Their worth a-lot of money also.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:herbicides 12 years 4 months ago #16133

Thanks David.
We do not have soil in the 4.5 PH range anywhere that I know of here in Ohio. Plus I do not see any Flame Azaleas around here either. Good point on the Jack in the puilpuits, trillums, mayapple, solomons seal, ect. Most of us look for these companion plants when searching for good spots to plant our seed. Maidenhair Fern, Goldenseal and Blood Root are great companion plant that many use to ID a good spot to plant seed in. I like to plant in areas that are abundant in Spice Bush as well. If I find Spice Bush I am lookin for seng.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:herbicides 12 years 4 months ago #16134

To prepare a planting area I usually spray and kill everything in sight as soon as I see everything growing well, and even beyond so I have less chance of weed seed blowing in my plantings. Later on, spraying of fungicides as needed keep any disease at bay.

Hillhopper

Re:herbicides 12 years 4 months ago #16147

Most forest plants seed fall right below the plant.There is a reason that ginsend grows so old.Bloodroot,jack in the puilpit,trillum,goldenseal,solomonseal,closed gentain,toadshade,wild bergamot,wild ginger,little brown jug,baneberry,turks cap,and the showy orchid are extreamly rare and valuable plants.They live as long as we do.Their seed fall at their feet.It takes hundreds of years for these plants to move the lenth of a football field.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 167 guests and no members online

Login