This is a pic of one row going sideways across the slope with some of the roots in it. I made multiple rows like this sideways across the hill like the rungs of a ladder until all 50 rootlets were planted.
This is a pic looking down the hill. The rootlets are planted down the hill just past the log. I put the log at the top of the planting bed to form a water break so the rain would not wash the leaf litter away. The planting bed is past the log where I laid the straight branches to hold the leaf litter down. Check out the black loamy soil in front of the log where I scooped it up to meet the base of the log break so the water would not run under the log.
Latt that is just beautiful work there man and the soil is awsome and the color reminds me of sevral areas that I know.Im looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor in years to come the Lords will,Thanks for sharing,
Thanks Billy!! Yea the soil is really good and I am looking forward to seeing how this woods does. I have planted quite a bit of seed in this woods overall.
Whitjr, yes it was great getting out in the woods today and getting my hands in the dirt. Yes these are rootlets that I grew from seed I planted in Eastern Ohio the fall of 2009. I had posted a pic of them a couple of weeks ago on Hillhoppers topic \"15 Pounds in The Ground\".
Latt- I'm glad to see the water brake you put in there. I think it's a great addition.
The ones I put in on the hillside on my beds have been very effective/ There's been some torrential rain last summer before the real dry we had, and some mthis winter as well. I've got zero erosion damages from the weather.
since I have many beds on the hillside, there's brakes above and below each bed. So the below brakes also catch leaves when they wash down, which is a plus.