2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring?

POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 3 weeks ago #16985

Me, I've done both, however this is only my 2nd year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 3 weeks ago #16986

Fall planting is the only way to go up in far north Maine.

Spring planting would be too risky since the ground is covered with snow sometimes into April. And thats on the Southeast, South and Southwest slopes where I plant all of my seeds. North and Northeast slopes have snow sometimes into May.

Plus for me, I have had too much success planting in the Fall to try spring plantings. I like sticking with what I know works well.

Good question Whitjr!

classicfur

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 3 weeks ago #16989

I've never tried any spring planting. Too many concerns about quality of seed and not getting enough exposure to second cold cycle to germinate that same spring.

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 3 weeks ago #16991

I plant anywhere from the middle of Nov until the middle of Feb. (In my area) Any earlier and I fear them drying out and any later we could get an early warm up like this year and last. I feel the rain needs to settle the dirt around the seeds well before they germinate and shoot out their tails.

Hillhopper

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 3 weeks ago #16995

I would not recommend spring planting at all. Tried a lb. one time around the first of April and had very sad results. I think that long winters nap really promotes their growth for the next year and being really neselted in the ground keeps the critters from sniffing them out so easily in the spring.

rootman

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 2 weeks ago #17003

This was my first year planting and I'm so glad that I decided to start small.

I found this forum while searching for ginseng seed after another \"work-from-home\" option fizzled out. While searching, I found a place about 30 minutes north of us, so we ordered 4 oz. of seed and the ginseng \"bible\". ;)

The weather had been perfect for planting...right up until my seed and book arrived! :S

I've got about 3 oz. planted and need to get the last oz. in the ground but it has been super-windy ever since getting the seed and we still have a lot of widow(er)-makers hanging in the tree tops, which makes me nervous about getting out in our woods when I'm home alone. :S

Guess I just need to put on my big girl panties and just get over it! :laugh:

We're already setting back some money so that we can order seed this coming fall.

Bit...the winter planting newb who is pushing too close to spring planting :blush:

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 2 weeks ago #17005

Welcome to the forum!

Relative to the \"big girl panties thing\"--- Here's to hoping that you are a big girl and not some guy. Laughing...

A note: not everyone is a sarcastic as I am.... and I don't mean anything by it.

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 2 weeks ago #17006

Welcome to the forum!

We don't seem to have many women on this forum, and it's good to have you here.

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 2 weeks ago #17007

Thanks for the Welcome, Whitjr!

Hubby and I sling a lot of sarcasm...it gets pretty amusing sometimes! :laugh:

Maybe I should have said \"tom boy panties\", that's much more appropriate! :laugh:

Bit

Re:POLL: are you primarily a fall planter, or spring? 12 years 2 weeks ago #17008

Those big broken limbs are due all their respect. One fell out onto a friend of mine about eight years ago, it went straight through his stomach and past his spine nailing him to the ground. After a life flight and a month in the hospital, he pulled through it. To this day he has an indention in his belly that would hold a cup full of water. They can be awfully dangerous, windy days especially.

Hillhopper

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 548 guests and no members online

Login