2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Starting to sprout here in Ohio

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17262

Glad to hear some of you guys are getting a little rain and that your ginseng is getting off to a good start. I probably won't be checking any more areas for a week or so. Last night I tried to look for mushrooms in one of the areas that I have dug wild ginseng in the past and did not see one plant up. It's kinda hard for me to look for two different things at one time, but I know where the ginseng should be and it wasn't showing yet. I think a lot will be coming up in the next week or two and kinda want them to be there when I go looking for them. Good luck to all of you growers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17263

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky

I have alot of tops up from the 1st yr and 2nd yr palntings I am happy with every exsperiment that i am working on sp far and am very suprised to see they are doing well on their own,but also still curious to see what unfolds as time passes with the srat seed.

Billy.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17284

Billy,

This is my second spring looking for sprouts from stratified seed too. Last year I had very poor germination, but this year is looking a lot better. I took a walk this evening and looked at some of my plantings and also at some wild patches. Most of what I saw tonight had just came up in the last couple of days as the leaves are still pretty curled up. I'd guess that about half of them are up and visible in my local area. It takes a good eye to find them right now as they are pretty small. Even some wild plants that had tops bigger around than a dinner plate last fall are pretty small right now. A lot of the stratified seed I planted last fall I just kinda planted here and there along a pretty big hillside. I also planted a few fairly small patches. I looked at one of these patches tonight and could tell that at least half of them have sprouted so far, but it looked like some of them just pushed through today. I'm hopeful and pretty optimistic that more will show. In any case it is a lot better than last springs result of no shows.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17300

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
-5- That sounds good and seems that you may have a good showing this season.

Have yo had a chance to check on your big root from here last season to see if it is going to come up,I sure hope so i can just imagine the size of that green top and it would have a very tall berry steam and pod,man it will be a nicen :o)

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17335

Last I checked, it wasn't up yet. I will be in the area this coming thursday and plan on checking again then. There are still quite a few plants that aren't up yet. This cooler weather we are having once again wont speed them up any either. There have been years in the past when I didn't see the first sang plant until May, so I'm not about to get too impatient now.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17339

I completely agree 5. When I had seperated beds from different stock sources, it was always our own Ohio stuff that came up last. Not sure why, maybe its this unpredictable spring weather we get.

I was out last week at a youth camp where I did a ginseng reintroduction program a few years ago. I saw some of our plants up and showing three prongs.

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17344

Guys, I feel like Johnny apple seed where I've planted so much seed over the years. To tell you the truth it's hard to remember some of the remote areas where I planted a few seeds here and there. But, that's okay.

Good luck everyone,

rootman

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17346

Rootman that is awesome!

Hey all you fellas down South. My ginseng has been up for over a week, seeds and roots. I would think all you fellas down South are a minimum of two weeks ahead of us up here in Central Ohio. So, I would think that everything that's going to come up down there is already up. Would you agree or am I off base.
Latt

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17347

Latt,
I still have seedlings coming up , but I think most of the older plants are through the litter. I have a real mixed bag of successful germination and I'd like to compare notes when everyone else thinks that most of theirs is up. I think we've still got some serious problems with planting and if we don't get our heads together on this , it will just happen to others in the future.
Hugh

Re:Starting to sprout here in Ohio 11 years 11 months ago #17348

Hugh,
You stated that (\"I think we've still got some serious problems with planting and if we don't get our heads together on this , it will just happen to others in the future.\")

I have some strong thoughts on this and I do know many things not to do through trial and error over the past 10 years. Learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do when planting ginseng seed.

Also things are changing fast in many woods too. Evasive species like \"Garlic Mustard\" weed continues to consume and choke out the woodland forest floor. This stuff has overtaken some of my favorite woods to the point where it is waist high and that's all you can see in the woods now. This does not help and area at all where ginseng was planted. Here is a link below on Garlic Mustard.
www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/invasive/3garlicmus...id/1998/Default.aspx

I have so many thoughts pertaining to planting wild simulated and Woods Cultivated I do not know where to begin or if anyone would even want to hear about it.

Good luck everyone.
Latt

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 564 guests and no members online

Login