2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: A couple questions

A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17446

I was wondering what y'all use to deal with insects eating seedling leafs? Is using somthing like seven dust alright? Also I was wondering if having 4 leaf seedling is normal? I have a few growin, will post pics later. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17447

Normally, insect damage isn't a problem with seedlings. That is unless it is slug damage...that is a HUGE issue.

This is the prime time for slugs. The small slugs will nip the stalks of the seedlings causing them to tip over and appear to be damping off caused by a fungal infection.

I use Sluggo. Sluggo is iron phosphate and harmless to animals. It is also somewhat water resistant. Just scatter it around your beds and you will be shocked at the size of the slugs you will see crawling up on sticks and limbs to die in a day or two.

I don't use other pesticides, so am not very knowledgable about what pesticides are licensed/labeled for use on ginseng.

Oh, and the four leafers happen now and again...maybe every thousand plants or so. Not normal, but not rare either.

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17448

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17449

Bigchrisb

Slugs have always been a big problem up in Maine.

I have had great results with Deadline mini pellets.

I usually see a couple of four leaf seedlings each. And they never do any thing great in the following years.

Caterpillers are a slight problem later in the season.
But I've never treated them with anything.

classicfur
Attachments:

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17450

Bigchrisb...

I found several 4 leafers in my first year stuff last spring, and even found a couple that had 5 leaves on first year seedlings.

Here is a pic of a 5 leafer from last year. This was from about Mid June last year and at that point some of my seedlings had signs of fungal disease - notice the yellow spots on the leaves. About that time we had a bad long hot drought that set in and by first of August most of my seedlings were dead. By Sept 1 almost all of our wild seng was dead too. Just turned brown and died.

I was a bit suprised to see those same seedlings actually made it and most of the came up nice little 2 prongs this year. Even after suffering thru a very tough first year.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17452

Yeah, that is the way they do. Next year's bud forms before this year's leaves sprout out. It is the root growth that suffers. Good luck!

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17454

TNhunter

Thats cool! I have never seen a 5 leaf seedling.

I have seen several 3 prong two year olds, but have yet to see a 4 prong
thats under four years old.

Thaks for sharing that.

classicfur

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17468

Pretty interesting to see the 4 and 5 leafers as new seedlings! I'll have to look closer at mine.

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17470

I had a 5 leaf seedling once but it died. I always wondered if it would have been any different in years to come but from what you fellas posted probably not.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:A couple questions 11 years 10 months ago #17471

classicfur wrote:

Bigchrisb

Slugs have always been a big problem up in Maine.

I have had great results with Deadline mini pellets.

Classicfur, if you haven't tried Sluggo...give it a shot. Deadline indeed works, but its metaldahyde active ingredient is toxic to dogs especially...and they are attracted to it. I have tried it, but it washed away after every rain. Sluggo, on the other hand, is non-toxic, biodegradable, and is semi rain repellant. It will last longer and does a bang up job on the slugs. I think its worth your time to give it a try.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds

Who's Online

We have 511 guests and no members online

Login