2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growing in Indiana

Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18231

• POC
  • POC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
Are there any other growers from Indiana here? I'd like to discuss how the laws in Indiana relate to store bought seeds and wild-grown roots, plants and seeds.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18236

I could be worng, however I don't know anyone else here on site that is from your state. Several guys here from OHio, tho.

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18238

Used to be a fella named Shroomy that was from Indy. Not sure where he went thou. I think he and Billy know each other but I do not want to speak for anyone. Maybe someone on here can put you in touch with him. Shroomy knows the woods inside and out. I do not know him personally but have read many of his post here and on a mushroom board we both used to post on. Not sure if he plants seed thou. I am sure he is not going to be interested in hunting wild seng with anyone too. We had that conversation already.
Latt

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18295

I live in North Central Indiana, not sure if I can help with your questions but what ya got? I do believe however most of the surrounding states have about the same regs, and also to the left here in \"State Ginseng Laws\" they do include Indiana, or just go to the Indiana DNR site.

Dan

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18296

• POC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
My particular concerns are these:
How does the state recognize my store-bought plants? Are they governed by the same laws?
If so, how can I ever grow and sell seed? Or for that matter even grow seed and replant it in a different location of my choosing?

? Indiana requires that mature fruits and seeds be planted in the vicinity where the plant was dug and in a manner that encourages germination.

5: It is ILLEGAL to sell or remove mature fruits and seeds from the vicinity where the ginseng was taken.

Thanks for your advice.

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18297

Well,,,,,, very good questions POC,, here is what I do, and I am in no way suggesting you follow my lead this is just me and what I do. of my own planted stock I will pick my seeds and plant my seeds where ever I take a notion to. However in someone else woods(of wich I have attained permission) I always replant the seeds in the general vacinity, and I THINK that those requirements pertian to wild sang. If you are going to make a business venture out of this I would assume you would need a license or some permit in wich would be evidence enough for the warden should he ever stumble across your line. Now despite all this I suggest the best thang to do is actually contact the Indiana DNR and relay your concerns, it may take a week or so, but they will reply to you with an answer or direct you to someone who will. This way you got it straight from the horses mouth.
Good luck in your endeavors
Dan

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18298

• POC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
I think I did contact DNR several years ago. I probably have the emails on the other computer....maybe. I'll see what I can find.

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18354

I live in southern Indiana and never have bought plants but have planted plenty of seeds. The DNR site has easy access to all the regulations you need to know. Good luck with your gardening.

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18396

Re:Growing in Indiana 11 years 9 months ago #18405

• POC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
I've read the laws over and over. They don't address my questions.

Thanks though.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 287 guests and no members online

Login