2017 Fall/Winter Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out. Order your seed today!
* Ginseng Rootlets: SOLD OUT
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ain't she purty?

Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19207

I just scouted some areas that I'd scouted about 2 weeks ago. Nearly all of the ginseng I found was either gone or just barely hanging on. I know our area (East TN) hasn't had the severe drought as most of the country, but it's looking like finding even a single pound of root (once dried) may be extremely difficult. Quite disappointing.

Almost all of my seed producing plants are gone. Last year, I planted about 30 mature roots to get me started with seed production. I've only gotten a total of 7 red berries this year, and I've only got 7 green berries left. The rest of the plants are yellow and brown. I know I should have watered them, and now I could kick myself.

While scouting, I saw a group of wild ginseng with 1 gorgeous wild plant with a green golf ball perched higher than the leaves. I can't wait to pull those seeds off and plant them around the area that the momma plant is growing. In 8 or 10 years, I'll know right where they are. That soil might be better than where I live, so I'm going to move some of that soil along with the root to my place to get it started. It's funny that we can take a root from a friend's woods and plant it in our own woods, but we can't move some of the seeds.

Anyway, here she is. :cheer:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19208

Yup!

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19216

Shawnlam,
Nice plant! I'm looking at the green berries and I'm wondering what part of East Tn. your located in. I was on the N.C. border this morning taking pictures and this is what mature plants looked like there. Three leafers were turning yellow and going down.

Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19220

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
She sure is pretty :)

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19223

Shawnlamm, that's a beauty. Gotta love them big old plants with extra leaves on each prong.

Hugh, that pic you posted has a better pod of berries than any wild plant I've seen around here while scouting. A lot of plants have nothing on them, and a graphic 3 or 4 prong might have 4 or 5 berries on it. Worst crop of berries I've seen in years.

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19224

Shawnlamm, that's a beauty. Gotta love them big old plants with extra leaves on each prong.

Hugh, that pic you posted has a better pod of berries than any wild plant I've seen around here while scouting. A lot of plants have nothing on them, and a graphic 3 or 4 prong might have 4 or 5 berries on it. Worst crop of berries I've seen in years.

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19234

5prong...

I am seeing the same thing here in southern middle TN as you.

I got a few red berries off my seed bed today, but have a few more that are still green.
Most of the ones that did produce berries, had a nice flower spike, but only 1/3 or so of the blooms actually set fruit.

And I would say 75% of them aborted berry production all together.

I am thankful for what I am getting though and taking good care of them and planting them in select spots... and hoping for better luck next year.

TNhunter

Re:Ain't she purty? 5 years 2 months ago #19257

Hugh - If I remember correctly, you are in (or near) Morristown. We're neighbors. =) I'm right above you in Grainger County. BTW, I absolutely LOVE the beautiful red of the berries on that plant. I remember seeing the photo that you posted a couple of weeks ago of that EXACT same plant with green berries.

5prong - I am ashamed to admit that the berries had me so excited that I didn't even notice the extra leaves. I had to go back and check, and two of the stems have 8 leaves on each one. If I had noticed it, I'm sure I would have included it in my original post. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterHillhopperjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 94 guests and no members online