2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeds

Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21332

I just got a letter fro my seed supplier warning me that he only got about half the seed this year as he got last year because of the draught. Expect \"HIGHER\" prices for stratified seed next year. Anyone else hearing the same thing?

Marvin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21335

I certainly have. Rumors are that wholesale price of seed is expected to nearly tripple next year. I know of at least one commercial grower who is throwing in the towel because of this.

There was a thread about this somewhere a few weeks back. It sounds as if others are hearing the same things.

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21485

This is Mike who sells seed from my web site Hardwood Ginseng. Seed was plentiful 4 years ago and prices were bargain prices. The last three years seed has been very scarce and most sellers would be completely sold out at this time of year or outrageous prices. In fact, right now I am considering raising my prices soon as I am getting closer to being sold out. And it is still a little early to be sold out as the warmer states that can still grow ginseng can still plant right into December. Next year I am almost 100% positive the rumors you hear about seed production being very very low, such as half the usual amount, it true. And the major growers of Ginseng were also hard hit with the drought. Even though I am from Minnesota and I had a bit more rain, I was also affected with low amounts of seed. And when places like Wisconsin have a low production, seed prices will affect the entire US as seed sellers take advantage of the shortage and raise their prices even if their location had high amounts of seed production. You can't blame them for doing this. An example why is 4 years ago seed sellers made very little money for their hard work picking and storing the seed for a year to find out a year later they had to sell their seed at probably a loss when comparing the time involved. And I have already made up my mind my seed on my web site will be higher next fall. It won't be triple. That is way too much. But I am thinking prices may be 50% higher. I might start out only 25% higher and if seed sells fast, by this time of the year if I have any left, then who knows how high the seed will sell. All based on supply and demand. What people are willing to pay. If they skip a year planting, or even major growers plant a lot less due to this, that should just help the future market years down the road to have Ginseng prices hit a new record price. Another option is if you have time to plant yet this fall, plant twice as much this fall and skip planting next fall. These are just my own opinions and I don't know for sure what will happen. Mike

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21487

Mike,
I have bought seed from you many times and I have always had great results with your seed. All I can say is if the price doubles or triples I will not buy seed next year. Not sure what other folks will do. I know ginseng roots go up in price when demand exceeds supply or is in low supply. So I understand the seed dealers may want to increase their price on seeds in a similar situation. I just hope it doesn't get out of control on seed cost.
Good luck seed sellers and seed buyers on what ever you decide to do next year.
Latt

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21490

Welcome to this forum, Mike-

Like Latt, I've appreciated the time that Larry Harding has spent with me on the phone, and the seed/rootlets he's sold me.

You work there with Larry?

Are you taking pre-orders... or thought about that?

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21491

I remember when I first started growing ginseng way back in 1993 and those first few years I remember paying as high as $150.00 per pound for stratified seed. But if I never did that I would not be where I am today growing it. Looks like seed prices have come around a big circle and getting back to their original price. I always look at it as investing only 2 cents or even 3 cents per seed, and selling the root someday for $5.00 and looking at it that way, seed is still extremily cheap. If it was a stock market and a very good chance that 2 cents a share would be worth $5.00 a share in 7 years, everyone would buy it.
I don't want to get a reputation of selling seed at a high price. Especially to all of my repeat buyers who count on me each year to be honest and fair on prices. And they know and trust my seed for excellent germination. Just like you said about the seed quality. But I also have to consider if I only end up with half the seed I normally sell and count on to sell, I cannot offer it for the exact same price. It would probably sell so quickly and it would really bother me if buyers purchased it just to re-sell it and make a profit when I was just trying to be nice and keep the prices the same. As prices on all ginseng goes up, we all profit. We may pay more for rootlets or seed, but we are also selling it for higher prices. I just sold my wild dry roots for $650.00 per pound in Minnesota. I only had just over a pound. I wish I found more. The plants disappeared by late September.
The roots that I sell for replanting is another story. I have kept my prices the same for several years now. I don't think anyone sells one year roots for .30 cents each. It is usually .40 and higher. And two year at .75 but I think that price can be found with other sellers if you search for a while for a good deal. And I do plan on keeping the rootlets at the same price next fall. That also depends on germination of my seed that I sell and plant myself. It better germinate the same as all other years. I planted exactly 19.5 pounds of seed. Been planting since the later part of July. Lots of work! But that is the only way I can get roots to sell. Mike

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21492

This is Mike,

I almost missed this message. Harding Ginseng I am not connected with. But I hear good things about his seed and roots. And sorry but I don't offer pre orders of seed. I would do that one my one year roots, but not seed. For those who are concerned about high prices next year, there is still time to buy and plant. Here at Wildgrown they still have seed to buy by the pound. My Hardwood Ginseng site still has some seed left. But I think most seller of seed will sell out soon. Why not just plant more this year? And just skip buying seed next year? Work twice as hard this fall and save some $$$ on seed next fall. But on the other hand it is always nice to plant each year. Even if seed is 50% higher, that is still only 2 or 3 cents a seed. When buying older roots at $1.00 or more each, that is when a person should watch how much they spend. Mike

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21497

Latt,
My supplier had a decent harvest of seed this year and told me since I have bought so much that they would still let me have them for close if not the same price next year. So just hollar and we'll place an order together. They don't plan on price gouging anyone. The 1/2 acre I have previously planted was puttin on seed pretty good this year until the drought hit so if the price does come full circle again, then by that time maybe we'll have some good ol' confederate woods grown seed from Tennessee!

Hillhopper

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21498

This is Mike again,

When you have a seller of seeds that is that loyal, that is the best way for the long haul. The issue I have is the majority of the seed I sell is not my own grown seed. It does come from artificial grown shade and not woods grown. And when any customer does ask the question, I have always answered correctly and never mis lead them. I won't tell my source of seed because I stumbled onto this very small grower by accident about 5 years ago. And he does not want people to know about him because of theft of plants. He is probably the last artificial shade grower in Minnesota. I have done test plots with his seed and even kept some seed over the winter in sand boxes and watched nearly every seed root out in the spring. I also look for disease on the seed. And treat the seed just in case. I have come to a conclusion that because he grows such small plots of ginseng and never plants in the same area twice, he has eliminated the majority of disease, etc. I really trust this seed. I got to know him well and he does not advertize on the internet. I asked if we could be partners and I sell the seed and he grows it. He wanted to set the price each year and I can sell it at any price I want as a mark up. The problem is I was already informed seed production was very low and the price will be much higher next year. I actually made more profit buying it 4 years ago at a very low price than buying at a high price with a smaller mark up. So what happens is he produces half the normal amount. Lets say he wants double the price. He makes the same. Then I try to keep the price somewhat the same each year and I may sell it at a higher price, but the price I pay verses the final income, I don't make as much. I do grow some seed myself and sell some of my seed. That seed I could keep the same price. Just like my roots I sell. The last 10 years I sold roots at .30 cents each and my web site still says .30 cents each and it will be the same next year. No price gouging on that because they are all my roots. Grown from mostly his seed. Just another view from a seller verses a buyer. I tend to look at both sides of how buyers verses sellers.
Once I knew of how scarce seed was going to be, I did actually try to find someone else with good quality green seed. I had no offers at any price. That tells me everyone is holding onto their green seed. So it will be very, very scarce next fall. Mike

Re:Seeds 11 years 5 months ago #21503

Hmmm... Hardwood/Harding.... I got confused. I havn't actually bought from you; I was referring to Larring Harding's ops there in MD.

You perspective is good to read... helps me in my thinking about the single largest cost I have in my endevors/ Thanks.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 176 guests and no members online

Login