2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: 80 Days and counting

80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22027

Man I miss talking about ginseng, seeing pictures of ginseng, discussing ginseng, trials and tribulations pertaining to planting ginseng, anticipation on how well the soil and a site is for growing ginseng.
It's cold outside and snowing right now. I wish I had something valuable to add to this forum right now but I do not. I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting with anticipation thou. Only about 80 days and all those ginseng babies we have planted will start to pop up. Looking forward to seeing some of those wild ginseng plants starting to pop through the leaf litter, ready to awaken from their long winter nap.
Anyone having a great ginseng story to share let er rip. Heck, if not make one up, I am all ears. lol
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22028

Negative 18 degrees on the ouskirts of Ripton,Vermont this morning.
Hope those roots are snuggle down in good.We have Maple sugaring coming up in 4-5 weeks. Stay warm.
Sargie

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22029

Good morning Guys,
I feel your groanings this morning. The Temperature is 33 degrees right now here in East Tennessee with a wind chill of 0 degrees. There is still snow on the ground here from almost a week ago and we are expecting more tomorrow. We haven't had much in the way of harsh winters in some time , but these snows should add some nitrogen and maybe some other nutrients that those babies need and would not get in any other way. We're just recovering from very heavy rains and floods so there is plenty of water in the ground to take us into the Summer.
Everything slows down at this time of the year, but I've had my new snake boots and snake chaps on a couple of times to start breaking them in. I can't wait to get into the mountains and see just how well those plantings are doing that I made in the Fall and early winter. I hope that I get into some places this year that I was just too scared to try last Fall. In about 35 -40 days I will be putting down ferilizer according to what UT recommended for my woodlots. I have visions of seeing 3 prongers everywhere this year at my house and some 4 prongers in a few older plantings. I'll try to get a video of some of my mountain trips this Summer and I look forward to seeing the progress of many others on this board.
Hugh

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22030

Here in Indiana 12 degrees. Hope we have a perfect spring for ginseng seed germation. Can't wait. Wilkie

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22031

Hey Wilkie Welcome aboard!!!!

Hugh, So Snow provides Nitrogen? Seriously I did not know that. Interesting.
Thanks,
LAtt

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22032

I hear you. I know I'm pushing summer but, I'm ready for season to open. I dig other roots and herbs but, the sight of \"seng\" really gets me going. Besides, I just love being in the woods!:) :)

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22033

Yep Latt, it does
Some type of a chemical reaction takes place and free nitrogen falls to the ground with a snow. This one should be a real good event that we had. It was a \"Thundersnow\" and I had not seen one since I was a young boy. It was strange seeing the snow come down and seeing large lightening bolts with thunder, all at the same time. I'm ready for more.
Hugh

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22034

I have a question for you. I am currently in KY from Tn. I am looking to get in touch with other digger in this area to swap info and possibly create a group of people that like to hunt ginseng in the hopes of a few of us getting together during season to go on a 3-4 day hunt. Any ideas? :unsure:

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22035

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Greetings Guys I am anxious to see the seedlings this year as well their should be many.

I have something to share with you all a thought of mine.

I am into deep consideration & prayer concerning buying 50 acres of realy good farm land that has about 30 acres of building land & 20 acres of beautiful private Mountian land with the perfest growing soil joined by 2 other farms one on either side it would be an idea spot for transplanting my 3 year olds and their is wild seng their as well I am praying about this and I know I have some brothers hear who might join into this prayer with me the Lords will be done I am waiting on his word.

Some hear may not understand what I mean but others hear I know will.

Billy.

Re:80 Days and counting 11 years 2 months ago #22036

Billy,
I'll be glad to offer up prayer about your desires and I'll say that I have been entertaining the same thoughts for more than a year. Finding the right spot at a decent price is not the easiest thing in the world. Fifty acres of land is going to be a sizeable investment so don't strain yourself financially. You've got a young son to send through school, so keep that in mind. One of the things that many experts have stressed is to go slow. You have more expertise than almost anyone on this board so the growing part should not be any problem. I'll pray that you make some wise decisions and then in a few years , I'll need to borrow some money:laugh: Good luck with your decision.
Hugh

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 545 guests and no members online

Login