2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lime Sulfer

Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22169

Hi Wilkie here. I would like to spray fungicide in the spring before germination. I am wondering about lime sulfer since copper based fungicides build up in the soil. I believe lime sulper is aorganic product.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22170

Hi Wilkie,
Lime Sulfur is one of the oldest fungicide chemicals to be used in this country. It has almost gone out of favor when compared to many other modern chemicals. If you are going to try to use it on ginseng, please be very aware that it can burn tender folige. If you have not used it before I would recommend using it on a small test plot first, to be sure your mixture is not too strong. You absolutely don't want to use it in hot weather. As far as being an organic product, I'm not so sure about that? Some of the products used to make it might be considered organic, but there is a chemical process used to get there. If you do decide to try it, let us know of your results. Good luck.
Hugh

Wilkie,
After rereading your post I understand that you will be spraying before growth starts above ground. That should not be a problem. I guess when I first read it , I thought you might be spraying just as growth started coming out of the ground and that would be at the tenderest point of growth. Take a look at the advertisement below the thread. Green Cure would be a good alternative.
Hugh

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22171

Thanks for responding. Iwas wanting to use the spray a month before gemination. If you have other options I would be interested to know.

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22172

Thanks for responding. Iwas wanting to use the spray a month before gemination. If you have other options I would be interested to know.

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22184

I would suggest you do use copper. I normally go in to the beds pre-emergent and spray the beds with Kocide (copper) to burn off any fungal growth or spores that might have over wintered on the dead vegitation on top of the beds.

Then, when the seedlings are about half emerged, I spray Dythane (a protectant) to help hold down early hotspots because of rain splashing. After the seedlings are fully emerged, I often go in with a doze of Ridomil and then another Dythane treatment.

At that point, I may not have to spray again that year. Often though, about the end of June or so I'll have to spray Ridomil or Bravo again. If I start seeing Alternaria, I'll go back with Kocide. Later, if I see signs of root disease such as phythophora, I'll use Aliette.

I've never been in a situation where my ginseng has suffered for the use of sprays in the small amount I put on. The heaviest spray of the year is that first pre-emergent copper treatment. I want that to coat everything, and wash down into the soil a little. By the time the spring rains are over, I doubt you could find much evidence it was ever there.

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22185

Thanks for the information Brad. I just want to get the young ones off to a good start. When are you going to start your forum up again? It was very informative. Wilkie

Re:Lime Sulfer 11 years 1 month ago #22188

Any time Wilkie.

As for the forum on my site, Mike Lee (the owner of wildgrown.com) doesn't want me talking about it here. But I will say, I don't know that it has been down.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 116 guests and no members online

Login