2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: growing in high pH

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22869

That's spells good ingredients in the soil and very good Gene pool! The deer must be liking something that you are probably supplying the Ginseng with in the way of nutrition as I don't see them eating on Ginseng as much in the Wild until the Fall. I had trouble keeping deer and a lot of other critters out of my' garden when I lived in West Virginia. After putting a line of Copper Dragon and Sevin Dust and salt around the outside of the garden boundaries, nothing would cross that line except us two-legged critters. I put the line around the garden mainly due to the slugs and snails but benefited by it keeping pretty much everything out!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22870

Without any weeds it's almost like a salad bar for them to come along and start munching the tops

Attachments:

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22872

Attachments:

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22874

Hillhopper,

Man those are some nice Seng patches! Now I see why the Deer are attracted to it! I hope you have safeguards to insure against poachers! Around here with Ginseng that open and unhidden by companion plants and weeds, it is inviting poachers to an easy haul! Sort of like pulling out $10,000 in cash on a corner in South Chicago and hoping you don't get robbed.

Frank

By the way, the last pic did not load.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22900

HillHopper - beautiful pics there. this must be additional patches other than the one you put in last fall?

Frank- You posted earlier in this thread... and the questions I have for you is below the quote...

\"In this case, the application of lime should lower the acidity of the soil to make for a more favorable environment. One would have to be careful to not apply too much, otherwise you may raise the PH levels even too high\"

Lime increases pH, yes? How did you think that the addition of lime would lower the acidity?
Acidity = lower pH
Alkalinity = higher pH

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22901

Whitjr wrote:

HillHopper - beautiful pics there. this must be additional patches other than the one you put in last fall?

Frank- You posted earlier in this thread... and the questions I have for you is below the quote...

\"In this case, the application of lime should lower the acidity of the soil to make for a more favorable environment. One would have to be careful to not apply too much, otherwise you may raise the PH levels even too high\"

Lime increases pH, yes? How did you think that the addition of lime would lower the acidity?
Acidity = lower pH
Alkalinity = higher pH

Yup, that is why we add gypsum if anything because it adds calcium without raising the pH like lime does. If you want to lower the pH, the commercial guys us ammonium sulphate.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22903

Whitjr wrote:

Acidity = lower pH
Alkalinity = higher pH

I already knew this fact due to West Virginia using Limers to lower the acidity in streams for reintroduction and survival of Brook Trout! However, I double checked the facts on several Websites and have included a link to one of those below. Yes, there is a trade-off of using Lime as it increases PH and Alkalinity. I never said that it was the best solution but Gypsum as stated by BCastle might! I am not the brightest when it comes to soil modification, so maybe I should just keep my' fingers off the keyboard.

hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/acidity2_review.html

Frank

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 10 months ago #22923

HUntsman- I thought perhaps I could learn somethng that I didn't know. I don't pretend to know everything about soil amendments either. I have found the guys/gals here to be a great source of info!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 738 guests and no members online

Login