2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: wanted to know what you think

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 7 months ago #23755

Latt wrote:

Nice!!!
You may have to thin them out soon by digging some up and transplanting the ones you dig up to a new spot this September. I have to do the same as many of my spots are too thick too.
Good luck,
Latt

x2 They look great for this far north Hobbler! They look totally normal and healthy for up here. I have Lots of little ones just like that are in areas where I have dug some real brutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong Hobbler but you're up in the Dacks, right? Real short growing season up there guys!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25779

This was a very interesting subject to me. Me and my dad are going to order some seed in a couple of weeks. But i'm curious to know if seed from Wisconsin will be right for east tn. I started a couple of spots almost 15 years ago and all but 4got them til last year. one spot had a huge 4 prong in it this year and several big 3s as well. That was from seed that i collected when senging. What do u guys think? Is the old saying seed is seed true or would Wisconsin seng have a hard time in tn?

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25782

The seed I sell is from Ontario. I sell it all over the US and plant it myself. I've never had a problem that other seed doesn't have.

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25783

Good evening BA,
I have planted a lot of seed here in East Tn. and I can tell you that some of the seed from the Northern states will mature much quicker in this area than what you want for good germination of the berries. The roots may do just fine since the early maturity probably doesn't matter for them. If you do order them from Wisconsin, just be sure to plant them at as good of a high elevation as you can and leave a lot of space between your rows. Do not plant hi density beds where they will be very close together. Take a hoe or garden spade and make short trenches a little over one inch deep. Drop a few seeds and try to cover them back with dirt and leaves about 3/4 of an inch deep. Tamp them down some with the hoe or your foot. Move a few feet and make another trench and do the same thing. Plant them in the richest , deepest, loosest soil that you can find. You'll lose a few the first year or two, but if you plant them closer, you will lose a lot eventually. Get them on the Northeast side of a hill or a hollow sloping to the North.
If you do want to save those berries and transplant them , you may have to get into the woods early and collect them or you will most likely lose them all. The higher the altitude, the better they will do.
Hugh

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25784

Hugh and Bcastle thank u so much for ur imput. I had a feeling northern seed would mature early.I wonder if brother Taylor has any from KY? I guess I will call him tomorrow when he gets home from church. Hey Hugh where r u from? I live in Lafollette.Hope the both of u have enjoyed a good seng season.

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25790

BA,
I live in Morristown. I'm probably about an hour from you. There should be a few mountains around you that should feel like home to the more Northern seeds. I have noticed that where I have planted seeds at the 3000-4000ft. elevation that it just about evens things out and the plants seem to act just about like they would if they were sown 500 miles farther North. At my home on Cherokee Lake they will ripen berries in Mid July. You really need leaves falling to have good successful germination from berries that are mature and hitting the ground. Mice, Squirrels, and Chipmunks will get every one of them if it occurs much earlier.
Thanks for your comments about having a good season. It has been great and I got to do a hunt with Billy. We had a great time and I owe him one in Tennessee.
Good luck with your plantings and I hope to run into you sometime.
Hugh

Re:wanted to know what you think 10 years 5 months ago #25806

Hugh we will definitely have to run in to each other one day. Always good to run into other sengers from Tn. I enjoy going into mtns. that i've never been to b4. I bet u have sum nice seng in ur neck of woods. Hope u try to get out b4 its all gone. I dug 1 yesterday that was brown and gone, nice 4 tho. Thats y I like this time of year mostly all bigs left lil ones r gone for most part. I'm still finding berries on sum and green ones 2.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 316 guests and no members online

Login