2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How far south does it REALLY grow?

How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23143

I live in the Ouachita Mountians in West Central Arkansas. I grew up out in the woods and don't recall ever coming across a ginseng plant. According to Scott Persons map, my area is included in the growing range but I am skeptical. Especially since I talked to a local root digger(he digs wild indigo...etc) and he said it is too hot here. My latitude is about the same as Huntsville, Alabama. Any body else have any experince this far south?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23144

I have some buddies I hunt with in Fort Payne and Scottsboro AL and they have never found it or heard of anyone seeing it in their area. My ex brother in law lives just below Atlanta GA, is an outdoorsman as well and hasn't managed to find any. I also have some hog huntin buddies in Texarkana Arkansas and they had never even heard of it before. I would say somewhere between that line and TN is where it stops. TNhunter is the furthest South in TN i know of finding it. Im sure there are plenty spots for it to grow down there but I imagine slightly warmer temps has made it hard for it to naturally migrate. Just as the plains and Rocky Mountains hasn't let it move West. It's selective where it grows here in Northern TN (like a North or Eastern slope) but as you go even farther North it will then grow on Southern and Western slopes.

Hillhopper

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23145

I know a few guys who find it in Northern Alabama around Scottsboro. That's as far south as I know of. I wondered about the Ozarks in Arkansas if anyone could tell me?

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23146

Bought seed from these folks before. Did well with it.

ozarkmountainginseng.com/

Latt

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23147

This is good information. Thank you.

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23172

My first post here. I've been trying to find out if the ginseng grows in SC. Can it be grown and harvested there.. If so are there any dealers in that state. I've checked with the extension school at Clemson with no results. Thanks for the help. I haven't start my Ginseng adventure but I am looking forward to it.

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23175

All honesty if you are in the area the best thing to do is head up to Sumter National forest around the chattooga river, find a trail then dive off the trail and look for it to confirm its there. I know its not that easy but if I was a betting man I would say its in North Western SC in that area.

Only do this if you are an experienced woodsman though I don't want anybody to get hurt. Watch TN Hunters and Billy's videos on finding ginseng and being a good steward of the land. Obey the laws but use this time to scout it out.

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 10 months ago #23204

Boani- Welcome to the forum!

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 9 months ago #23308

I have been growing 'sang for about 15 years in the Yellville, AR area. It will grow much farther South than N. AR. Pretty much any place that it will get the required cold stratification period will provide for it to grow.

Get you some seed from Lindy (Ozark Mountain) as someone posted the link above and give it a try!

K

Re:How far south does it REALLY grow? 10 years 8 months ago #23983

There's a good bit of wild ginseng here near Starkville, MS... Oktibbeha, Choctaw, and Winston Counties. We're pretty far down in Mississippi.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 320 guests and no members online

Login