2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone having problems with alternaria?

Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23283

Hey guys-

I have three of my lowest beds that have symptoms of this. These are located on the lowest slopes of the hillsides.

Otherwise, all the beds are free of it. I did find one plant that was exhibiting signs of root rot. however only one.

How about you guys?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23284

Whitjr,
I havent looked at my beds since early July (Im afraid too.) We just came out of one of the wettest Julys on record here where i live and the conditions are right for that kind of stuff. Beware if you found some root rot there is probably more.....alot more. YOur plants are at the age where some of mine were years ago when they got zapped, in those low areas very few of my plants ultimately survived. That was when i had the realization that growing wild-simulated would take alot more time and alot more seeds than all of the enterprise budget sheets had suggested. Good Luck Man.

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23286

Whitjr,
Due to all the rain we've had this year disease is always a problem. I've had a few root rots and some leaf spotting but I always expect and accept a few loses.

rootman

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23288

I pulled about 50 young starts in various locations. only found one root rot plant our of all of them. I found this one in amongst some prominant large roots from a nearby tree. so, poor drainage there.

I hope that I don't find too many more, however am going back up this weekend to do some more work there.

I hope that you guys don't find any more than i did!

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23293

I believe I am having slug problems but it could be leaf blight. I will be posting a pic of one of the first year plants. This plant is on of the more severe cases. I have applied various fungicides in rotation not to use one specific one more than 3 times this year. All plants have been sprayed 6 times. Let me know if what you feel I may have.
Thanks for the help
Attachments:

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23295

WVwhitewolf, I would agree that is either slugs or some other insect. That is definately not alternaria.

Alternaria is characterized normally with yellow halos around the infection. Sometimes the whole plant -particularly in seedlings- will yellow and dropp over.

This warm, wet weather is ideal for alternaria. I am battling it everywhere. However, the good news is that in my area, it seems to have come on much later than it could have. This means that most of the plants affected will only lose their tops, not their roots, and will be back next year.

After a year like this, I would strongly recommend a saturation spray of the beds with metalic copper (Kocide for instance) to burn off the alternaria spores which will otherwise overwinter in the mulch. I would suggest spraying the same thing again in the spring just prior to emergence. -if you spray at all that is.

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23296

I have not been down in the woods to check my plantings since may. Around here the ticks and chiggars will carry you off mid summer so I just don't go tromping off in the wood for a few hours unless I really want too.

I have a nice clean path down to my seed bed and check it often. They are all looking real good this year, even late like this and after plenty of rain this year.

In the past they have gotten the yellow spot and very late even some of the leaf melt but I have never sprayed them with anything, and they have always come back nice and clean looking the next spring (and early summer).

Right now they are looking good, don't even see any signs of the little yellow spot yet. I also have some 2-3 year olds planted close to my seed bed and they are looking real good too.

I will have to get out and check mine in the deep woods around here and see how they are doing. Won't be too long now until squirrell season opens up and that will be another good reason to get out there and check them out while hunting.

Good Luck to all of you that are seeing problems and I hope your little seng plants show some real determination, put a little character on that root, and rise to go on another year again and again.

TNhunter

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23314

I've got small yellow spots on many of my leaflets as well. Most of my patches get them by mid to late summer every year, but they don't seem to affect growth or survival much. Its more prevalent this year, though, so we'll wait and see. I've never sprayed.

Re:Anyone having problems with alternaria? 10 years 8 months ago #23344

I did a folar application of the nutrigro solution to give them all a boost. We'll see how the yellow spots in those three beda are next time I go up. A little extra nutrients shold go good. I did not spray any fungicide.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Who's Online

We have 796 guests and no members online

Login