2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: earliest successful planting dates

earliest successful planting dates 10 years 8 months ago #23626

For those of you in the south, what's the earliest you've successfully planted from seed? Here in Virginia, I typically start my planting the first week of October, and have had decent results. That's well before leaf fall, and I'm typically low on leaves to cover them with, so I hesitate to plant any earlier. But this year, I'm going to be especially pressed for time, and might have to go even earlier. What do you think? I know Scott Persons mentions September as viable, but not sure if that applies to TN/VA/NC, etc...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:earliest successful planting dates 10 years 8 months ago #23627

fiddler,

This is the first year in The Central Valley of East Tn. that it has been wet enough to plant successfully this early since 2006. I tried almost every one of the years from that time until now and it did not work so well. However this year would be an exception. There is plenty of moisture in the ground and my suggestion would be if you are wondering about enough leaves to cover your plantings with, is to rake a few bags from other locations to cover your beds or rows somewhat until natural leaf fall occurs. I believe your plantings placed early will survive.
Hugh

Re:earliest successful planting dates 10 years 8 months ago #23630

it's hotter in Sept to work there planting, especially if you've alot to plant. And as you mention, having the leaf clutter to cover the plantings with is a real benefit. Make the voles and mice work a little harder....

I like to plant mine in mid-October.

Re:earliest successful planting dates 10 years 7 months ago #23745

Thanks guys. Anyone else ever planted stratified seed in September in the south? How about you TnHunter?

Re:earliest successful planting dates 10 years 7 months ago #23768

October is as early as I have planted stratified seed.

A couple years ago I actually talked to Hardings and he said he planted seed in July, but he is up North somewhere...

I sort of doubt that would work very well down here in the southern middle TN area.

Our summers are brutal compared to up north.

TNhunter

Re:earliest successful planting dates 10 years 7 months ago #23784

Growers that large start planting seed even earlier than that. He likes to plant really early to let all the rye straw sprout so he can spray round up to get clean ginseng beds in the spring.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 101 guests and no members online

Login